🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting a job in the industry for the first time

Started by
22 comments, last by Freeride Designs 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I''m 18 and just finished my A-levels (UK) and I am now looking to get a games programming job, I''m just wondering do you think it is enough for me to send a demo to companies to get a job, or would I be better to go to University before trying to get a job. I had been planning to go to uni, but now I feel I would rather just go and get a job. I have a fair bit of games programming experience, heres a screenshot of a game I''m currently working on. So do you think that I would be able to get the same sort of career without going to uni? How much harder will it be to get a job without going to uni??? Thanks in advance ----------------
Freeride Designs
----------------
----------------
Black Edge Games
----------------
Advertisement
Very nice screen shot!

My recommendation, uni-wise, is to *go* to university. Much easier to get an interview that way.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
email: grhodes@sed.ara.com

Edited by - grhodes_at_work on August 18, 2000 2:12:08 PM
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
What do you do if you go directly to the game industry and after five or ten years you lose your job or they just want different people and you are landing on the street?
Without a University degree you are always getting problems.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

i totally agree with the going to the university first. That is what I am doing.
But Jester, if you had already spent 5 to 10 years in the industry then that is alot of experience college graduates wouldnt have and I think it would look as if not more impressive

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

My recommendation is that if you can make a nice racing game like your screen shot above makes me believe you can, then defenately go into the industry first. If you go to college, you will be going in debt for 4 years learning stuff you already know, on the otherhand, going into the industry during that those 4 years you will be making money and gaining valuable job experience. So think of 4 years from now and decide which position you would rather be in. 4 years of job experience and money in your pocket, or 4 years of education and lots of school loans needing to be paid off.

So if you can get a job right now, TAKE IT! If its only part time, take it and also maybe take some courses at a local college. Or take some night classes. There would be absolutely now reason not take a job right now if you can get one that is willing to pay you for your work.

Possibility
Thanks for your opinions guys, I guess I''ll probably write to some companies and see what they say, but at the same time keep my uni options available.

Any other comments are still welcome.

----------------
Freeride Designs
----------------
----------------
Black Edge Games
----------------
If you can take a year off before you go to uni
I recomend doing so. They won''t teach you anything about programming games and the only maths I''ve found useful was
from first year. If that game works the way the screen shot
implies there is no reason why you shouldn''t start
a company of your own. Most game jobs these
days will not allow the programmer any creative input. Also
there is no guarantee that you will get a job with a company
that makes the kind of games you like.
On the other hand starting a small company is rough going.

Good Luck!
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
University is cool!

Beer, girls and C++!!!
I took intro to c++ 2 years ago and advaced c++ last year. I now teach one of the c++ labs at college. And I can tell you.....c++ and girls dont go together (from what I have seen).

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

Whoa!!! That''s very excellent looking screenshot!
I''m 17 so I won''t instill much influence from my 2 cents worth, but here it is anyway(): go to university (that''s what i''m planning to do) cause most game companies who advertise jobs for programmers want (as a Preferred Qualification) a BSC in CompSci which would most likely increase your chances of getting a job.

Good luck

=============================
silly programmer vb is for kids.
============================
www.thejpsystem.com
==============================================I feel like a kid in some kind of store... ============================================== www.thejpsystem.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement