🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What kind of games pay?

Started by
13 comments, last by Jester101 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi people, what kind of games do you personally believe pay the most (price range 9.99$-14.99$)? I think that Action/Arcade are easy to produce and are for the inexperienced computer player the easiest to use (read: sell the most). ----------------- "Les'' jus'' bash ''em on tha'' heads" Quoted from a fresh US Marine Corps bootcamp graduate

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
We must take a look at the current selling games and start to make games on that experience.

Currently I am very curious about TreadMarks'' sales figures. If anybody feels like, he can share some knowledge. He/she is welcome. Seumas has raised the bar very high.

I think the action/arcade market is overcrowded, too. Not too mention the newcomers who try to enter the field.

BTW, we are in the making of a game, that will launch a new genre, the battle tank simulators. Well, while a game company is not an estabelished one, it must follow the trends and extend its borders to the maximum, like LDA did.

bernie
www.bkgames.com
I agree with the need to research which types of games sell well. I''ve done some of that type of research and found that simpler games aimed at casual gamers can sell VERY well. However, if you are a small independent developer, I would STRONGLY suggest working on the kind of game that interests YOU the most, or you will find that you will never finish your project. Good luck!

Zeus Interactive
Battle tank simulations are not new. They have been around for at least 10 years. However most of the time they got a bad rating from the game magazines.

Actually my problem is definately not to finish a game. It's not even selling them. My problem is that I want to maximize the earned money.

Edited by - Jester101 on September 19, 2000 3:27:08 AM

Edited by - Jester101 on September 19, 2000 3:27:43 AM

> They have been around for at least 10 years.

I would say 20 years.

> they got a bad rating from the game magazines

Have you ever read about treadmarks?

> I want to maximize the earned money

You should get a dayjob. Shareware game developing is just for fun, not for getting rich. Get a degree, make some corporate work, and you will end up with quite a wage.

bernie
www.bkgames.com
yeah true
this game biz is a total joke.
your chances of making money from it unless you take a crap salary from EA are virtually zero,.
Almost everyone is incompetent or a liar. Get out now
This isnt an attempt at irony either

http://www.positech.co.uk
The games that make money are the games that are completely different than every other game. Its not the ones that follow the trend, its the ones that set the trend.

Figure out whats been done before, and do the exact opposite. If you make the only RTS/Action/Whatever that year, it will be much easier to stand out from the pack of clones of last years hit.
I think as an independent developer, you have to make a game that is as unique as possible to sell anything. It can''t just be a me-too FPS, or a "just-like-starcraft, but with pigs" game. It helps if your implementation is spot-on as well.

For a professional gaming house, you have to get every aspect of a game practically perfect. Even then it will still have flaws. I wish players only looked at the gameplay, but if the graphics aren''t benchmark setting quality, you will drive away alot of your players. If the game needs a story it has to be a strong and unique one. Same goes with sound and control.

So from my point of view, it''s not, "Oh, make a FPS because that''s whats selling the most right now", but just make a game that excels in all categories (gameplay, graphics, etc).

Ut
Ahh this is funny. If one posts a pessismistic post one gets optimistic replies, if one posts a optimistic post one gets pessimistic replies. That''s funny.
Damnit. I really should have gone to the bootcamp.

i agree with cliffski.
btw, you have a cool portfolio of games.....

but i still like making games however krappy they may be.
the sales of my finished ones could be better.
there is nothing that says you HAVE to deal with the
liars and incompetant people.
but i did learn things from them while i worked with/for them.
which is why i don''t intend to get out....
i''m basically making my own industry.

there are resources available everywhere that will
let one market and distribute his/her own product themselves.<br>which is what i do thru my own ''official company''.<br>you just have to know what the puzzle looks like <br>and put it together.<br><br>all of this and i have a day developer job.<br><br><br>as far as what kinds of games generally sell/pay the most….<br>puzzle and card games, which are generally bought by women.<br>and this info comes from a post i read somewhere <br>from someone who makes them.<br>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement