🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Virtual Company Blues...

Started by
8 comments, last by Supreme 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I have my Virtual GameDev Company for 2 years now (1 year and a half of research and 6 month of developement). We have a lot of contacts in the Gaming Industry, A pretty good business plan, A promising project in developement, etc... so almost everything to succeed. One problem is : the management of the Team as a Virtual Team. That is the biggest problem for us. We tried to use ICQ, IRC, Forums (the one who is still working). But that is not the same as human contact face-to-face. Is there anyone here who is experiencing a successfull Online Virtual Game dev Company who have suggestions or who could tell me his story of success. We need help ! Thank you! Supreme
"What is best for a Quote than this : BLANK"
Advertisement
well im not involved in any online company, but i think ICQ is the best instant messenger, but sometimes its not as good for group conferences
you could try setting up an irc server specifically for your company, and then use that
or you could try using a program such as roger wilco for voice chat
Well, we are not a company, but we communicate with IRC, a mailing list, and we occasionally have live design meetings.

-Jussi
You might also try some communication software like netmeeting or roger wilco
What is the roger wilco prog you are alking about? It is better than netmeeting? (I hate netmeeting )

Oh yeah and maybe if you could tell me of a good planing program (no MSProject please )
well i don''t know how big/serious your company is but...
go to my website ad look at StarLines INC.
this was written over course of a year with just 2 face to face meetings, the rest was daily emails, and a phonecall every month or so.
it CAN work like this but you need to know the other people pretty well to work that way. I had 100% trust in the other guys, and we all know that we know what we are doing.
Probably harder with strangers, but it can be done.
We nearly went the whole year without meeting, but cracked in the last 2 months.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Roger Wilco is a Voice-over-net program. I heard of it from using MS Flight Simulator. It allows voice chat, but I never used it myself so I don''t know any specifics. As for your virtual dev team, try reading the articles in the Featured Articles section about virtual development. I''m thinking of starting a team or throwing in my lot with one but I haven''t yet so that''s all the help I can give you.

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

try battlecom (www.battlecom.com), i havent tried it yet, but it is similar to Roger Wilco, but is a lot clearer, and allows up to 60 ppl to chat at the same time

G Coates
-------------------------------------------
Software is like sex: better when its free!
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Thank you all for your comments I think that this will help me a lot ... I will take a look at the battlezone.com thing. Ill keep you updated on the developement of our game

Thank you.

Supreme

"Here is my original signature : No Comments"
actually though Roger Wilco is a good VON (Voice-Over-''Net)
product, there is one
that''s better
it''s by diamondware and it''s called Tele-STK..
check it out:
www.dw.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement