🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

demos and future publishing

Started by
3 comments, last by Fremmed 23 years, 9 months ago
I''m getting way ahead of myself here, but I''m the curious sort, so I''ll present you with a brief question. If I had a good--no great, working, finished game sitting on my disk, and wanted to try and strike a publishing deal; would I be stupid to release a demo to the public before I approached any publishers? I guess there are three possible outcomes if I did; *) it gets a lousy reception, and all publishers would bin it the second they saw it. this is fine, as I wouldn''t want my name attached to crappy software anyhow. *) it gets a great reception, and publishers would instantly umbrace. *) any publisher would''nt want to touch it with a ten-foot pole, regardless of the reception it got, as it had already been released without their name on it. what do you think?
Advertisement
I think you''d probably want to approach publishers before you finish the game, not after. Start looking around once you have that demo running to show to people, and then if something works out, releasing the demo to the public is probably something you would ask the publisher about.

-Ironblayde
Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Yeah you are right in some points that this is most usefull to go see a publisher with an Alpha version instead than with a final version of your product. But if you miss theses steps there are some publisher who only wants to review finished games. Yeah I know this seems unbelievable ... but it is the politic of some of em to review only theses...

One of em that I know is Interplay... if you do not have a finished game dont even think about them for publishing.. and your finish game must be a damn good one!

This was my 2 cents.

Oups sorry I forgot to put my name on the last reply I sent

May you forgive me!
"What is best for a Quote than this : BLANK"
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Yeah you are right in some points that this is most usefull to go see a publisher with an Alpha version instead than with a final version of your product.

hm. why is this? to not spend a lot of time implementing features that''ll get slashed/changed?

I''m not doing this for the money, so I''d certainly feel more confident the more complete the game was (and the more proud I was of it).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement