🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The size of the Game industry

Started by
15 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 8 months ago
I heard a radio program once that said Games spent and made more money in 1999 than Hollywood and the Recording industry COMBINED. Can anyone testify to the validity of this "fact". Or at least, give a source believable enough for me to present to possible investors if I should include this statement?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
That does seem incredible to me. Do you think they meant just computer games, or console games too?

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
judging by numbers, i would include console games in that fact. like, ff7 and metalgear solid. i''ve heard of that statement too, i believe it. but that only means there''s more competition...

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
With the launch of Sega''s Dreamcast last fall selling so many units...2M?..., it was announced that computer games (primarily console games) had outdistanced just about any other form of entertainment, including Hollywood, in 1999.

Go back in the various game-dev-oriented news to about a year ago for more detailed information. I don''t recall much of the specifics.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Well it is a 6 billion dollar industry so I wouldnt be surprised...
Actually...I stand to correct myself...
It is a 17 billion dollar industry now
Time flies

"I'm going to live for ever. Even if I die trying"
Benjamin Franklin (I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Wow, imagine it in a few years when I''m in the industry!! Wheeehoo!

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

quote: Original post by Ibuku

Actually...I stand to correct myself...
It is a 17 billion dollar industry now

What the... 17 billion? Where did you get *that* number? I''ve seen the 6 billion in various reports over the past year. I''ve also seen something like 7.4 billion. I have *never* seen anything close to 17 billion.

I think the consensus was that the gaming industry at 7.4 billion in 1999 was neck-in-neck with hollywood at 7.5 billion. Check out this article on psx.ign.com that talks about videogaming "as a whole." It reports 7.2 billion, but I''m dead certain I''ve seen 7.4 elsewhere.

http://psx.ign.com/news/14004.html

Oh yes, the report at:

http://www.gamedaily.com/news/february_00/2_3/index.shtml

states "Industry 1999 Sales Exceed $7.4 Billion [2-2-00 6:55pm]" in the headline. It goes on to say that PC games accounted for less than 20% of that, console games around 50%, and console hardware around 30%. So, therefore, I don''t believe your 17 billion without a reference.

But may be the 7.5 billion was just revenue, and your 17 billion includes money changing hands within the industry? I''m curious to know your source.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
email: grhodes@sed.ara.com
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Deleted by author due to duplicate posts (internet response issue).

Edited by - grhodes_at_work on September 26, 2000 10:45:05 AM
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement