🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What can I do with a Virtual Server?

Started by
10 comments, last by ColdFusionEntertainment 23 years, 7 months ago
Im creating a client/server chat program (its a special type of chat program so please no suggestions on other software) Anyway, (I hope this doesnt sound dumb but) does a virtual host allow winsock (api functions) passed back and forth from the client''s computer to the server and back. I need this in order to create this software, Im just not sure what exact restrictions are layed out with virtual servers (sending/recieving data through sockets and processing on the virtual server limitations). If anyone knows please let me know, Im trying to figure out if I could use a virtual server to lower costs until I can afford my own private server(s) and high bandwith connection Thanks Scott
Advertisement
I seriously don''t think you can call API calls through networks.

---------------------------
"Don't die for your country, make some other dumb bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
I really don''t understand what ColdFusion is trying to ask...

However "making API calls through networks" is possible. It''s called RPC (i.e. Remote Procedure Call). DCOM and Corba are fancy versions of RPC.

-Mike
I think I understand what you are asking.

You''ve looked at the costs of having a dedicated server installed at an ISP and realised that it''s expensive. You also saw that the ISP offered virtual servers which were much cheaper.

A Virtual Server is a HTTP thing, basically it''s a way for ISP''s to mass host websites on a single machine (and possibly a single IP Address).

It''s highly unlikely that they will allow you to run your own server process on the machine that supports Virtual Servers as it would pose a security threat and potentially impact the service they give to their other customers. Besides, most ISPs use Apache or Zeus on some flavour of Unix to do Mass Hosting, and Winsock code won''t run.

If course I may have completely missed your point - try asking the ISP.
There's probably a simpler, more elegant way of doing it but hell this is London
Yup, Slide is correct if your talking about running your own server software. You need a dedicated site that will allow you to run your code.
Some ISPs allow you to have a static IP address... and you can run your server from your maching, but this is usually too slow over a modem connection.

Dave "Dak Lozar"Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yeah Slide hit it right on the spot what I wanted to know. First thanks to the anonymous poster guy, ill check out that RPC thing, I was thinking of starting my own server on my own computer using maybe a static IP through DSL line, thanks Dak Lozar as well.

Sincerely,
Scott

aka coldfusion
go to www.cjb.net. They do free IP redirection. I use it for the GDTalker.

---------------------------
"Don't die for your country, make some other dumb bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Hey nes8bit,

thats kewl, but how is ip redirection going to help me with my chat client/server program i am making? What is this gdtalker you mention? sounds like something i am doing, could you give me more information?

Thanks,
Scott

ColdFusion, what's easier to remember: some IP number or "yourname.cjb.net"? IP redirection is also good if you don't have a static IP, you wouldn't have to tell everyone the new IP when it changes, simply change the redirection info and voíla...

Edited by - Muzzafarath on September 29, 2000 3:41:17 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
hey Muzzafarath,

thanks, but no thanks, thats not what i was asking, of course i know a domain name is better then an ip address to remember and that dns lookup is used so if ip''s change, you dont have to change anything but your name to point to the new ip. if you read the question i said how is that going to help me with the server/client program im doing. I already emailed nes8bit and he told me that he just said that as kinda "off the topic" sort of thing,

but thnx though for trying to help...i think ;-)

later,
scott
cfe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement