🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting into the games industry in Scotland

Started by
10 comments, last by forxl 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Does anyone know what sort of experience is required to get into the games industry in the UK (particularly Scotland). I have been working in embeded operating systems for too long now and always wanted to get into the games industry. I do have experience writing demo''s and games for Windows and other platforms at home but it seems like all the games companies require previous experience in the games industry before they will even speak to a prospective employee. Does anyone have any tips on how to get started? Thanks, Fraser --- - "The Weasels are Coming, run for the hills!" - "But they''re coming from the hills!"
--:D, F
Advertisement
buy the Edge magazine if you don''t already. its full of games companies wanting staff, and many of them are in scotland.
Also do a good demo. I think a lot of these companies would interview you, but be prepared for a pay cut.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Foxl, don''t get discouraged. One of the good things about the Scottish games industry is the limited supply of programmers - a lot of people don''t want to make the move up over the border. One thing about a lot of Scottish games companies is that they won''t pay /quite/ as good as a gamedev down in England. That''s changing though - Dundee''s getting competitive...

Get a good demo together. Work on your CV. I know for a fact companies like Visual Science in Dundee hire people without industry experience.

Are you looking for somewhere in Scotland in particular, or are you willing to move? There''s a lot of companies now in Dundee.

Arrrggghhh.... Wheres me haggis!
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Hi

follow these steps

1) goto www.lionhead.co.uk
2) goto to jobs section
3) u will find a small list of employment agencies for games, browse them all until u find one that has a orangish background (game jobs or something)
4) check their UK list, they have tons of gaming jobs, many in scotland

hope it helps, if u land a job, let me know
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
Thanks for the help guys, It''s good to know that i''m not just wasting my time trying to get a job in the industry.

I was primarily looking for something in Glasgow or Edinburgh but anywhere in the central belt will suit me. I currently live in the south of England and I want to move back up north so relocation is going to be necessary wherever I go.

From what I have seen so far, most companies like to see some good demos. What sort of stuff should I be sending them? I''ve done a couple of small PalmPilot games as well as a couple of Direct X demos for particle systems. Is this the sort of thing they look for or do I need an actual game of my own design and creation?

-Forxl
I know this sound bad. But a lot of the companies
want you to have a good 3D demo.
They won''t want a finished game as its very unlikely
you will ever get to do any designing these days.
Coders code. Artists draw. Designers design.
Its a corporate structure.
P.S. whatever you do don''t take a job doing console
games. Working with Code Warrior will make your life
a living hell. Unless of course you don''t ever need to
use a debugger.

Dave
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Try VIS Interactive in Dunfermline, not Edinburgh I know but just a short trip over the bridge.

Paul Johnstone
Crytek Studios
I currently live in scotland and was wondering am i better to get a job in scotland game programming or a job in england? Which has more opertunities and best salaries?

G Coates
-------------------------------------------

Green ribbon campain, for freedom of innovation
Windows: The only virus with a GUI!
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
I have been down in the south of England for quite a while now and now i''m planning on moving back north.

As far as I can tell the salaries down here are usually a bit higher but the cost of living is also significantly more, especially in the M4 corridor west of London, but then I dont think there are many games companies in this area, it''s mostly big telecoms giants that dominate the scene down here.

As far as I can see the hi-tech companies are making a big investment in central scotland and the number of software companies and games developers seems to be increasing. Although this doesnt mean it''s any easier to get into the industry up there as I''ve been discovering

Thanks again to all those people who have posted replies to my original post. I''ve been looking at some of the sites and companies that you''ve suggested and they all look promising.

Now I have to go and do some more work on my 3D demos

-Forxl

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement