🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

LAN troubles!!

Started by
3 comments, last by Gaiiden 23 years, 8 months ago
OK, I''m still developing my WindSock skills, and I have finally moved on to a LAN interface with DSL, instead of a straight dial-up connection between two PCs. Now I go through a hub. Here''s the deal. I used the same program I tested with the dial-ups - it sends a simple message both ways - and it worked - on 1 DSL line through a hub. Then me and my buddy took a different DSL line each and tried it again. The program got hung up somewhere between sending and receiving. I was stumped for a few days when I had an epiphany - maybe it was the hub? I took my DSL line from the hub and stuck it into my laptop, bypassing the hub completely. My pal was still going through the hub. We ran the program again and guess what? It worked! Has anyone else had this problem? Again, here are the situations: - Sharing one line w/different IP address through a hub: WORKS - Each using own line w/different IP addresses both going through the hub: DOES NOT WORK - Same as above, but one computer not hooked to hub: WORKS I know it''s not that important, this situation may not crop up too much, but just in case - does anyone know why this happens? I''m thinking the program just gets confused on whether to use the DSL lines or the LAN, but that''s just a guess. Hope i explained this clear enough, thanks. ============================== \\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot. ==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
Sounds like you''re having routing issues.
The two different computers need to be on the same subnet for them to communicate over the hub.

If you'd like a diagnoses, post the results of the following from both machines:

"route print"
"ipconfig /all" (winipcfg if 95)
"tracert www.gamedev.net"

Also, you could set up a share on one or both computers - if you can get to that share, your network is working and its your program thats not So long as TCP/IP is the only protocol on the systems.

You have two dsl lines within hubs length of eachother?

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on October 10, 2000 10:38:42 PM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
yeah, I sorta figured routing issues was the name of the problem, but I wanted to make sure. I''m pretty sure now that the hub is getting confused on whether to send the data over the DSL lines or just straight through the network, so stuff is bypassing each other and nothing gets done.

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

hubs dont get confused, they mindless repeat what they are told :p even right back to the computer that told them it!

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on October 11, 2000 9:47:15 PM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement