🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ack! Console Devtools Expensive?

Started by
11 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 8 months ago
I can''t believe some of the numbers I''ve seen... Can someone confirm the prices for Development Kits on a system such as the PS2? Even better, can someone explain the logic in them being that expensive? Why do they do it that way? The whole way console systems liscence seems like a mystery to me.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Forget consoles LF they are *way* out of our league.
PS2 the last I heard was in the range 250,000 to
500,000 per dev kit. I can't remember the exact figure.
Cause I worked in the conversion house over a year ago.
Consoles SUCK!

>Even better, can someone explain the logic in them being that >expensive? Why do they do it that way? The whole way console >systems liscence seems like a mystery to me.

They sell the consoles at a loss to the punter and make up the difference else where.

BTW that was Australian $ which was worth around 70c US
at that time.

Edited by - Davaris on October 14, 2000 8:33:34 PM
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Just curious, not considering. Like most of my posts in here. But it never hurts to know, even if you will never use, eh?

So what''s the logic in charging so much for the devkit? Limited production is one reason... Avoiding amateurs is another... anything else?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
The logic is simple:

The number of copies a console title will sell is HUGE compared to PC games. Even really successful PC games. I know of a popular console title that had pre-sold 650K copies *before* it was released.

Remember...Sega sold 2M Dreamcast consoles in just a few months last year. That number has grown, and the DreamCast is considered "runner up" against competitors like the PS2 that''s coming out this month (26 Oct).

That''s a VERY VERY LARGE installed base of potential players. It makes the PC game market look rather small in comparison.

The companies that put out consoles, Sega, Sony, Nintendo, whoever, promote the hell out of their particular console. So anyone who develops for that console is reaping the benefits of that marketing. And they know this. So they charge admission.

Also, since it is *their* console, it is by definition a proprietary configuration of hardware and software. If you want to develop for it, you''re going to need their tools (however bad they might be...ask around...). So again, they charge admission.

BTW, console makers also exercise exclusive control over what titles are developed and sold. And they also take a cut of all sales proceeds.

The price of admission to the console developer''s club may be steep, but it''s because the potential rewards for a console game are HUGE (that word again), and the company that made it all possible wants their cut.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Aha! The moment of realization has arrived! Thank you david.
This (expensive dev licensing) is not the case for the Indrema console (indrema.com), but then, most people have probably never heard of Indrema.
Indrema (sp?) rocks. No two words about it. It just will quite plain Rock. Linux OS, the ability to quickly port pc games, and a variety of sweet tools means that it will be a console that will be welcome at my place
Do you really consider Linux as a pro of the Indrema? To me it seems its biggest shortcoming, who wants a large kernel designed for network servers running video games?
The figure I heard bandied about for a PS2 dev station was 20K, but that might be due to the fact that this company has a buttload of them, so there might be a volume discount or something.

$0.02
I think that company''s misrepresented that figure to you. An actual devkit & licence for the PS2 comes to around US $20K. That''s an increase on the PS1 devkit, but not much. That cost isn''t for the hardware (that''s cheap), you''re paying *for the right* to develop on the PS2.

The figure you were told sounds more like the royalty fee Sony would take from the final published game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement