🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Market research and gaming - a potential business

Started by
7 comments, last by XAndNotX 23 years, 7 months ago
I had this idea, recently, that there is an aspect to gaming that could be used to turn a substantial profit for a market research organization. Traditionally, market research has found it very difficult to reach the younger target groups, typically between the ages of 14-21. As such, the value of market research for this demographic is very high. Part of the problem is the appeal of participating is very low and any compensation designed to offset this also offsets the value of the information thus obtained. A potential solution, as I see it, could lie in the popularity of network gaming. In some respects, the construct I am about to outline might sound quite fanciful, nevertheless, to my understanding it is also entirely pheasible. The essence of the solution lies in encouraging regular gamers to complete market research for the purpose of participating in an online game, wherein the information they have priviledges their activity in some way. A number of possible designs could achieve the desired end of information crucial gaming. For example, and perhaps not ironically, gamers could participate in a competition with the borg (of Star Trek fame). Participants would battle to defeat the borg, perhaps for bonuses such as extra game-time, power-ups or even ultimately real-world prizes. The borg, by contrast, would attempt to "assimilate" players, by capturing information from the gamer''s database or successfully "assimilating" them as a whole. The foremost issue in the implementation of such a system would be the security and valid transaction of information within the construct of the game. Firstly, the player would need to be assured in some manner that the information would not be acquired without proper consent via the game''s parameters. One solution may simply be to place trust in the player. At the appropriate time, the game-system would request that the player enter their private diskette of information into the machine they are on. Conversely, the collective database at the other end would need a way to ensure that data collected was authentic. This presents more complex issues that could be dealt with elsewhere, but with regard to the actual transmission of information, any person failing to transmit would simply be locked out of further game sessions. I hope this has been of some interest. Though I am without the resources to see this come to light myself (development and maintenence would be far too organizational complex for a humble student such as myself), I would certainly like to hear people''s thoughts on the concept.
Advertisement
In one way, I think you might be on to something... but I only see one crucial hole in your plan... If you portray the doling out of information as a negative thing, people will assume you are using the info for bad stuff and hence won''t play at all. Hmm, I think I have a solution, but posting it here might make me NOT rich.

I''ll chew on it for a while, and tell you if I feel like it. It''s pretty obvious anyway.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I''m not sure that I even understand what you''re talking about. Are you talking about a ''game'' where the players end up giving personal information when they lose?

I am a little tired, so that might be why I can''t find the main point in your post. Could you clarify what you mean a little bit?

Thanks!
You want demographic information for adolescents and young adults. You think that they might give that out on the Internet for some kind of benefit in a game.

Maybe. For an instant and discernible *benefit*. I can guarantee you, though, that they won''t give out that kind of information to avoid a *negative* on a game...as soon as they see that, they''ll leave.

Voluntary information given out over the Internet is so suspect that about the only conclusion you can draw from it is: Someone filled this out (and even that''s an iffy assumption in these days of scripting).

You might try something like this:

Create a game that you think will attract a certain demographic (12-17 year old females, for instance, though if you manage that one you won''t need *me* giving you advice on how to get rich). Make the game free to play, but "supported" by advertising.

I say "supported" because the advertising is your research. The players will nearly always use 1-5 logins over and over, and you will be able to track how those logins respond to different ads (if any). Then you can begin tailoring the "ads" shown to someone when they log in based on your accumulated information about that particular user.

For that matter, if you get a particularly non-responsive player, you can begin to experiment. What kind of ads *will* they respond to? Picking stuff pretty much at random and throwing it at them until you get a "hit", and then you can finally begin to get information about them...

It''s "reverse advertising", in a sense, because you''re not *really* trying to promote the sales of anything in particular (at least, not at first). You''re just trying to gather information about the players in a bizarre, surreptious manner. Once you have them "pegged", though, you can hammer them with highly specific advertising that (and this is the scary part) they might actually appreciate...

DavidRM
Samu Games
Landfish you schmuck, if you want to pull smarts like that then shut your flabbin mouth and get lost. Don't make me lessen my opinion of you, all you'll do is make me angry for bothering to post.

Jaxson, thank you for your concise summary.

Now, before I go on, I should probably apologize for rendering the description above in a (perhaps too) cynical light. The truth of the matter is that market research, like any research, can be used for good or evil. For example, a beer company can use customer psychological profiles to alleviate drinking problems to protect its market in the longer term or exacerbate drinking problems for the sake of sales. Thankfully, in the one such case I have been aware of, it was reported that the company did act in an ethically responsible manner.

Personally, I would hope information obtained through MR could be used just as fruitfully for improving council management as it could for optimizing advertising targets. We should not forget that democracy would fail miserably without a self awareness of its population. The point is foremost to find ways of making useful information available.

Regarding the information collected, in most consumer-based cases this is entirely harmless: hours spent watching television, favourite magazines, attitude to new products, etc. One's life at the supermarket is hardly the be-all and end-all of one's true identity (as if that could be communicated anyway!). Furthermore, in the market research I am familiar with, information is treated as entirely anonymous and is subsequently compiled for statistical purposes only. Reluctance to participate in this sort of research usually stems from the playoff between the time involved in detailing the information and the payoff for doing so.

I do realise, however, that MR is not always conducted such a detached manner and instead, often takes more aggressive forms. For example, certain types of MR devote themselves to creating mailing lists that can later be abused for advertising purposes. Clearly, this is undesireable. Nevertheless, should potential participants not like the information agreement, they are certainly not obligated to play. Since the point is to attract people to the prospect of making useful information available for tangible rewards, it seems to me unlikely that any aggressive MR strategy would succeed (conditions are certainly good in Europe, since citizens continue to hold rights over databases refering to them).

Lastly, in response to DavidMR's point about the quality of volunteered information, there are a number of factors which would ensure quality was obtained. Foremost would be the sheer volume of comparable records, which in concert render discrepencies negligible. There are many methods in statistical analysis and profiling that can be used to identify/eliminate damaged sources. In any case, filling out forms of any length becomes more time consuming the more creative one gets; since honest responses are most readily available, people are more likely to rely on them than waste time making things up. This fact becomes more pertinent the more regularly the task is required (for repeat plays, or such).

PS. I think your suggestion that the two could coincide is accurate, but the question advertising in games might be more suited to another post - it spurs a whole set of separate issues all of its own.

Edited by - XAndNotX on October 15, 2000 4:26:14 PM
I thought that it was interesting, but there seems to be the flaw of what would motivate player to play such a game that involves having to spend time every so often to fill out a survey/form sheet. There would need to be a solution to this problem for it to work. The game would have to subtly acquire this information by perhaps intertwining it with the gameplay elements itself instead of requiring that this be a task that needs to be performed in order to play the game. The game would have to be really really exciting for gamers to do this on an occasional basis.

And even then, I think people will get tired of filling out questionaires regarding their likes/dislikes, etc. Since you mentioned that the game will primarily target those in the 14-21 age range for demographic information, I feel that they will be very susceptible to getting bored really quickly and not being able to focus on answering the questions properly, etc.

RCode
RCode
If it was a good game that didn''t cost you anything, but a couple of forms every so often, I''d go for it. Better yet, if I had a chance of winning clothing discounts or other free games or something, I''d be itching for a shot. Best of all, if I could get online with my buddies to compete for major prizes, I''d be stoked.

I know I''ve presented the concept dryly, I was more interested in the internal issues than the candy that would get the show rolling. But, since it seems I have turn this into a sales pitch, I should think the above would make the appeal clear.
You should be aware of limits and laws regarding the collecting of information about people, and using that information.

In the US it seems to be (I am not an expert, I just see this on websites) either a law or at least used frequently, that children under 13 can only give away information with their parents consent - I don''t know what happens if they don''t have that, or you use the information anyway.

Also, in the Netherlands, there is a law that if you collect any person-identifiable information (whatever you call it - things that can identify unique persons) you should register your database with a certain institution, and there are rules set up that people should have access to the information stored about them if they request, etc. etc.

So it may work, it may not, but it will certainly pay off to research those subjects before you do anything with the idea!

(And if you do start good luck

Kind regards,
Maarten Egmond.
Interested to know what I'm doing?Check out http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor
Creating a videogame to get info from the players... What you''re saying is that it could be a "potential business" to spend a millon dollars in making a videogame to get information from young people instead of paying a thouthand dollars to someone to ask questions in the street... I really don''t know why but somehow I''ve got a strange feeling that it wouldn''t be such a great business. But don''t let that stop you. Just an advice and please don''t take this the wrong way, before taking any important decision just try some lithium, the standard amount of 300mg of lithium carbonate every 12hs costs less than a dollar per day.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement