🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I Can Get No...

Started by
0 comments, last by Jester101 23 years, 8 months ago
"I Can Get No...Server!" Hi everyone, well, I am thinking about producing some kind of online game in the next year. However I have no experience in making server/client games. What I would like to ask here is where to get a server for your game? The cheapest I have seen is something like 50$ > a month, but the transfer amount is very limited (2 GB). Do you have any web adresses for me to check? The best option for me would be a server where I can test and develop my game for free and after that provide the host with some royalties. Any experiences? Take care, Jester ---------------- "Ha! You guys and your guns. Gimme a dark alley and a knife and your asses are mine."

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
We currently lease our servers from http://www.inetsolve.com. We lease entire servers, but if you're balking at $50/month, you don't wanna know what we're paying...

I haven't checked in a while, but they used to have several "MUD Packages", including a "builder" package.

In fact, if you want a good, cheap server setup, you're best bet is hunt down a place that provides MUD hosting. Check out The Mud Connector for a comprehensive list of MUD resources, including hosting services.

Chasing MUD hosts, however, does assume that you want a Unix/Linux server. If you want NT/W2000, you're on your own...those tend to be even *more* expensive (because you have to pay for the OS being installed, not an issue with Linux, generally).

As for a 2 GB per month limit, stop and think a minute: During the very early stages of development and testing, how much bandwidth do you *really* think you'll use? COnsider the future and be prepared to scale up, but recognize the present and don't buy a lot of bandwidth you're not going to need.

I wouldn't expect anyone to go for the royalties idea. You're just going to have to bite the bullet and start accumulating "Development Costs".

DavidRM
Samu Games

Edited by - DavidRM on October 15, 2000 12:31:32 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement