🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do I find out my IP?

Started by
7 comments, last by Profus 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, this question is not directly related to programming but I supose there are lots of gamers among you who can help me to resolve this probem: I play a lot of Age of Empires 2 w/ a few guys from my school over internet and since I recently got an ADSL connection (only 256/128Kbits but better than 56 ) they always want me to create the game and act as server... The problem is that I''m connected via an extern ADSL router (3COM OfficeConnect 812) w/ integrated hub. The router is connected to my computer via ethernet 10BaseT. My internal IP is 172.26.0.2 and the router is 172.26.0.1 the DNS (no idea what that means) is 193.152.63.197 but non of those is the IP my friends have to enter in order to connect to my computer as server. Does anyone know how I can figure out my real IP as it appears to someone from outside my home LAN? THX for your help
------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
Advertisement
Under Win9x type winipcfg at the command line.
DM's Rules:Rule #1: The DM is always right.Rule #2: If the DM is wrong, see rule #1.
Well, if I understand your setup correctly, your DSL router gets your active Internet IP address from your ISP *probably 193.152.63.197 currently*. That is assigned to it''s external interface *i.e. the side that connects into your wall*.

172.* is private address space and will never be routed on the official internet.
FYI - 10.* is also private address space along with 192.168.*.

172.26.0.2 is the IP address of your computer
172.26.0.1 is the IP address of the internal interface of your router *i.e. the one that your router uses to connect to it''s integrated Hub component*

There should be some management software that came with your hub. In the ''advanced'' section of that configuration, you''ll have to enable IP Forwarding, Port Forwarding, or whatever your specific router calls it. It will then forward all incoming connection requests with destination of 193.152.63.197 to your computer with address 172.26.0.2.

Good luck
Well Daedalus, winipcfg only returns the internal 172.26.0.2 adress (I tried this before postng)...

The idea of the configuration software is better but terra doesn''t include this software in the package...

someone told me that IRC has a feature that tells you your IP but I still haven''t tried it out.

thx anyway
------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
quote: Original post by Profus

someone told me that IRC has a feature that tells you your IP but I still haven''t tried it out.

The command is /dns (nick).

-Jussi

(nothing to see here anymore)
The isp may have set your DSL modem to do NAT (Network Address Translation) since 172 isnt routable on the internet, im guessing this is what theyve done. You might wanna call and see.

Basically what this means is that you were given 1 real ip address, which is on the isp side of your DSL modem. on the other side of the modem you prolly have 172.26.0.1 which is your gateway for your computers. NAT basically works by taking the packets that your sending out and stipping the ipaddress out of the header and putting the real one in, then when a packet gets sent back to you NAT strips out the real ip address and puts yours back in and then routes the packet to your computer. The downside of NAT is ppl usually cant connect to your computers for any type of game server u may have running. If they are trying to connect to it , they have no idea what the ipaddress is of your machine, and even if u give them the one u have now, since its not routable on the internet, the packet would likely be dropped by the first router it came to, if sent at all.

I prolly didnt explain this well , but its like 5am here. =) and im tired...
-=[Megahertz]=-
Well Megahertz, that sounds exactly like what''s happening here...

I found out my IP over IRC but nobody was able to connect to me, are there really no workarounds?

Ah yeah, and btw someone knows if this has something to do w/ the fact that I got a worse ping on half-life servers than my neighbour using 128-ISDN?

thx ppl

PS tell you what: if telefonica ever gets near you better start running and don''t stop till you find another telephone-company!
The only work arounds involve having either Admins access to the gateway (then you can invoke the almighty port-forwarding) or access to a host in the DMZ (where DMZ is one term for a set of hosts not NAT''d that lie behind the gateway, if even one exists).
Well SiCrane I''m talking about a one-computer-one-router-network and a phone company that didn''t even provide me w/ the software to configure the router...
maybe the guys at 3com have it on their webpage... gonna have a look...

thx anyway

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement