🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Registered Trademarks - Info please

Started by
0 comments, last by ao 23 years, 8 months ago
I read that in order to protect your trademark in other countries you must register your trademark in those countries. Just a few things I want cleared up: 1 - So if I live in Canada and the Trademark "Digital Corpse" is registered in the USA, but not in Canada then I should be able to register it in Canada, right? 2 - Can the business/owner of the registered trademark, "Digital Corpse", in the states give me any trouble if I have a business name registered in Canada as "Digital Corpse" and the registered TM "Digital Corpse"? 3 - I was also wondering about domain-names, if I register "www.digicorpse.com" because "www.digitalcorpse.com" is already taken, can the "www.digitalcorpse.com" dudes try and sue me, claiming that I''m stealing their business due to the closeness of the name? Please remember though we are in 2 different countries... I really don''t think the domain name thing is an issue, cause then they would have to register all the domain names they wanted to protect. By the way, digitalcorpse is a madeup-on-the-fly name. Feel free to use it if you want. Hey guess what I even checked and www.digitalcorpse.com is not taken!! wow, I thought practically everything was gone. ao
Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com
Advertisement
Canadian Eh?

I am currently working with my lawyer and trademark agent to register various names, and I''ll tell you the honest truth it''s not fun.

1) Considering the name has an exisiting trademark in the USA, you will not be able to sell/market/trade your product in the United States. If you do decided to register this name in Canada, this may cause future complications if the US company decides to expand to Canada. I would strongly recommend talking with your local Patent and Trade-mark agent.

Your Agent will ask you where your market is, and tell you to focus on your potiental customers. No point in registering a name in Tim-Buk-Two if their is no audience.

2) Maybe.

3) Your Domain Name should build your brand. If you are looking for "Nike" would you remember "Nik-shoes"? Keep it simple, and the same, build a brand.

Good Luck.
Lance(rsnail) Developer and Artist.Rocketsnail Games - Small Bursts of Imagingation.http://www.rocketsnail.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement