🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Press list, how to send a press release, how to distribute demos

Started by
4 comments, last by Roman Arce 23 years, 7 months ago
Publishers send press releases right? How? Do they have a list of contacts? In that case could anyone send me as an email attachment or tell me where or how I can get a list of email or physical addresses of game press editors? Like paper magazines, internet magazines, news sites and all that. Another thing, how do I send everywhere a demo/screen shots of a game? To have a demo included in those CDs that come with game magazines is it enough with the press release saying where in the internet the demo can be download? I know that to a lot of sites I just need to submit the demo but I saw lists of sites with demos but I just couldn''t find any list of game press editors. Please help me! Thanks. Roman Arce (punk@romanarce.com)
Advertisement
You do not only need to have the "adresses" of your "contacts". You need to actually know them and they need to know you. This way you can make much more easier PR for your product. Ever thought about why companies pay for something called "Press Relation"?
If you are an independent developer or a small software team (read: you don''t produce high-tech like Unreal II) I wouldn''t care too much about PR work. You should only make exceptions if you have friends working in the press. Everything else lands in the dust bin.

But ok. Maybe you didn''t wanted to hear this and want to try it the hard way? Ok here you go.
Put up a website and in this website a special section called "PRESS". There you put all the screenshots, press releases, demos and the like. If you don''t want the public to get this information secure it with a password.
Then you send all magazines, newspapers, radio and television a letter containing stuff like that you''ve founded a new company, include some numbers, tell them why you are the best, but keep everything short and easy to read. Put a press release in there too. How they are done is a bit too much for this post.
Don''t forget to call the magazines and ask to which person to send the stuff.

AND MOST IMPORTANT! Don''t do it like I wrote this post. SPELLCHECK it! Damnit! Writing is the job of the press people and they REALLY recognize the difference.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Dear Roman Arce,

Even though it helps to actually know some of your press contacts personally like Jester101 describes, it''s of course a huge task to phone and write to everyone regularly to establish a relationship. Therefore Press Releases are not dependent on personal relations.

There''s something called the AIDA formulae you can apply to a press release. These are criteria you use to determine whether you stand a chance to get mentioned. Your press statement needs to be interesting for the people to read, different from other press releases.

Take care,

Alex
Yep, what I want to add to my post is that you don''t need to be close friends with all your press contacts. Hell no! That would be difficult to achieve. What I meant was that you can''t simply take a adress list of someone and simply send your press releases to all of them. Well, sure you can. But as I said I think we are not talking about Unreal II and more about something along the lines of budget games.

If you really want to make the PR yourself visit some game developer conferences (not necessarily THE game developer conference; there are more out there). Events like the ECTS are a good start too. Having at least talked to them once raises your chance that they take at least a look at what you''ve send them. I need to know it, I wrote for a game magazine myself and still get bombed with paperwork and the like. For sure a comment like: "Here I send you closer information about the game XY we talked about on the ECTS..." is always good (for sure ONLY if you really have talked with him about the game. )

Hint: Don''t send everyone a free version of your game, but include a formular with which they can order one for free. That''s what companies usually do.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

What''s AIDA?
It''s not that I ''really'' want to make the PR myself, I have to due to having no cash for paying anybody or go to conferences.

I''m more confused... Let''s see, I made a videogame, I have a demo and screen shots for download in it''s website (www.romanarce.com), no one goes to buy the game or even to download the demo simply cos no one knows that the game exists... What do I do? I just want people to know that there''s another videogame and to play the demo. Isn''t the press supposed to do that? Of course I have to tell them. If it''s not with a list then how?

Just how do I do to tell the world that I made a game?
There''s several methods upon which you could use to get the word out regarding your game. Here are a few:

- Advertising. But you need money. To get money, you would have to either provide it yourself or get a loan, borrow, it etc. If it''s a really good game then maybe someone in the business world which is called an "angel" could invest in your game for an equity stake in which they would own a portion of the revenue generated.

- Publishers. If they accept your game and think it would be worthwhile for them to invest the time and money in (e.g. it would provide substantial returns), then they would do all of the advertising for you. Of course, you have to have a really cool game. And if they do accept it, then you usually only get like 10-30% royalties.

The bottom line is that it takes money to show the world your stuff. You just have to find some way to raise it, either by borrowing or giving some royalties away. If all that is required to get one''s game into magazines, websites, etc. is by e-mailing everyone on a list then those people would get bombarded by the thousands of e-mails they would receive from people that makes games from the next Quake killer to a boring tetris game.

RCode
RCode

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement