🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian Game Development?

Started by
13 comments, last by PsyCHo puNk 21 years, 10 months ago
Doesnt anyone know of any canadian game development companies? I''ve been looking at many sites which have job listings in the game industry, but I haven''t seen a single one in Canada (I''m from Ontario close to Toronto). The only canadian game development company I know of is Bioware(makers of Baldurs Gate) in Alberta. I''m not actually looking for a job yet, but I''m trying to see whats out there and at least plan ahead for my future a bit now like things as if I might eventually need to look for a job outside of Canada or whether I should consider starting up my own company. Also lately I have been trying to get advice as to what is a good way to go about learning assembly language (its not offered at my college). I have some electronics background and some basic knowledge of processor architecture anyone know of any good ASM books(all I could find at chapters was a very old book)? Any advice would be appreciated..
Advertisement
I think EA have a development office in Canada, but I''ve no idea where.
Yes EA does have an office in BC..

Also..

Ottawa:
Sir-Tech
Strategy First

Montreal:
Strategy First (HQ)
UbiSoft

Edmonton:
BioWare (as you already know)

Vancouver:
Relic (creators of Homeworld)

There are quite a few more, but I forget which...

ZaneX
EA Sports has a huge complex around Vancouver. It rocks! There''s a company here in Calgary called PixelPlay that might make console games, I''m not sure.

There must be some companies in and around TO. It is, after all, the centre of the universe (sarcasm). Sorry, that''s my Western alienation.

John

There''s a company in Ottawa called Sir-Tech... they''re working on Wizardry 8 and Jagged Alliance 2.

MatrixCubed
http://www.MatrixCubed.org
I think there are a couple other VERY small game companies in Edmonton...
Barking Dog Studios - Vancouver.

==================
/* todo: insert cool sig */
Martee
Magnum Games.NET
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Montreal:
Microids
Artificial Mind & Movement
Vircom
Ubisoft
Strategy First (Publication)
CineGroupe Interactive
There's also Firetoads here in Calgary.

Hey Fifty1! You're the guys who made that curling game? Cool. I've seen it at a Compucentre downtown, pretty cool.

Demetrios Georgeadis
Director/Programmer
Oniera Software Artists

www.oniera.com

[edited by - oniera on August 5, 2002 11:15:38 PM]
Demetrios GeorgeadisDirector/ProgrammerOniera Software Artists

www.oniera.com

dont forget about Pseudo Interactive heer in good ol Toronto, theyre fairly new, they are also nominee''s for the game dev awards for best rookie studio and best new game or something like that, theyre game is called cell damage, looks pretty cool, like those bugs and tweety show, i dunno, check out theyre site yup u guessed it -> www.pseudointeractive.com

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-
-= kill one you're a murderer, kill thousands you're a conquerer =-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement