🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OO modeling techniques in game dev

Started by
3 comments, last by PsyCHo puNk 23 years, 6 months ago
Hey I''m learning UML(unified modeling language) in college and I was wondering if any object oriented modeling techniques such as UML are ever used in game development such as like class diagrams. Just curious...
Advertisement
I would imagine a post like this would usually degrade into a language war (C vs C++).

I do use class relationship diagrams (and C++) but not using UML. I use a sort of modified "Booch" notation. I use the diagram to identify basic "IS A" and "HAS A" relationships. Public, Private and Protected indicators (occasionally) and quantity relationships; One to Many (1..N), Exactly One (1..1) etc. I also identify the abstract classes with his "A" indicator.

I don''t use the "Properties" identification or base methods stuff because I feel too much information confuses the matter. I know it begins to confuse me and I draw the diagram.

I usually attach a thorough description of each class on a seperate document that will identify any extras about the class.

Regards,
Jumpster
Regards,JumpsterSemper Fi
I always found UML more useful in "classic" programming problems. Maybe you should look for alternatives, I personally don''t like UML & GameDev...

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
I''ve never used UML, and don''t use C++, at all...but I use object-oriented techniques when they seem appropriate to the task at hand, whether it''s game development or more general-purpose programming.

DavidRM
Samu Games
If I''m doing anything OO that uses more than a few objects I will always do a class diagram (so I know whats going on if I leave it for a long time and come back to it...)

If you are going to do any S/W design for a game (most of us dont, but I do if I''m not working alone) using OO then a class diagram is a must in my book... But thats just me...

Basically u use what u feel comfortable with, and what does the task at hand..
NightWraith

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement