🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Client/Server Tile-Map Considerations

Started by
23 comments, last by MatrixCubed 23 years, 6 months ago
Definitely, but with so many gamers moving to highspeed connections, I doubt it would be significant to these. The main concern I guess is modem users.

This update might be best done upon logon, as well as "vicinity" updates if you happen to be standing right where a map update is performed. I guess it''s not really much different from adding updates to the server''s local item list that are sent to clients only when they enter regions.

On that note, perhaps just (as you stated) a list of regions that have been changed... regions may be edited as much as necessary, and if a ''save'' operation occurs that changes even one tile in a region, that region is marked as ''dirty'' on the server... anyone entering that region gets the entire region''s contents sent to them (around 20k) and life goes on. Not too much latency, but then there is nothing to download as soon as you log on.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org
Advertisement
Its going to get bandwidth heavy on the server...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I''m not an authority on this topic, so i don''t have much to say, but what i did want to remind you guys of is that on uo, when you hit a server boundry, you knew you did.

no npc''s would follow you across it.
no npc''s would attack you if you didn''t melee w/ it.

but they''d stay right there, as if they were still in follow mode.

the trick? drag a will-o-wisp to a corner boundry and tear it up w/ magic. or, take some hits from it and run back. both would raise skills dramatically.

just a smidgen of cheating that is possible w/ the uo implementation of multiple servers, so be careful, k?

-frank

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct.
~Succinct Demos Online~
"Hey, where''d that display list rotate off to now?"
-(Drop me a line here)-

-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
Maybe you could keep the map compressed in memory and just uncompress the portion you need. Possible having an uncompressed cache of frequently used portions.

--------------------------------------

"Follow your heart, do what your passionate about, and in the long run you''''ll succeed in ever way that matters."

--------------------------------------

I''ll certainly keep that in mind when planning what functions servers can call between eachother, like ...

Server->MovePlayer(server, player);Server->MoveMobile(server, mobile);Server->SendItem(server, item); 

... I guess these sorts of checks would be done during normal move routines, on the server side, so that the server automatically moves players seamlessly (and so that high-end machines or ones with faster connections won''t notice the transition much) etc.

I don''t like the idea of compression, because there are so many checks to perform per connected player... I''d rather stick to something simple (!) like the aforementioned region management. Plus I haven''t a clue how to design a compression system like that.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement