🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Firewall and Proxy

Started by
19 comments, last by nes8bit 23 years, 6 months ago
How do you connect to a server that''s within a firewall and how do you connect to something through a proxy that isn''t a standard http proxy? --------------------------- "the only thing I ask, is that if my games get pirated, people must do a good job of it." - Erick
Advertisement
1) To connect to a machine behind a firewall, you either have to allow inbound connections to that machine on the firewall, or use another means of accessing it like VPN.

2) Is it a SOCKS proxy? Need to know which type of proxy it is.
1) The server needs to have Static NAT to an internet ip address (means the firewall needs at least two ips)

2) You don''t. Its often possible to rig a semi-functional proxy connection, but there usually issues that prevent full funtionality.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
whew...right over my head guys. Tell it to me like I''m George Bush. Ya''ll. . Really though, this is for a peer to peer thingy and I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

---------------------------
"the only thing I ask, is that if my games get pirated, people must do a good job of it." - Erick
Magmai Kai Holmlor''s first point only applies if it''s a NATing firewall. Many firewalls don''t do NAT.

JonStelly''s first point is basically saying that, it''s all good if the permissions are set on the firewall, as in the necessary ports are cleared for the necessary ip''s in both directions for the right protocols.

Or you can negotiate with the firewall for permission, if you know the protocols the firewall is using.

And no one has a clue about what you''re asking with connect to something through a proxy that isn''t a standard http proxy. What kind of proxy device is it?
I assume you mean connecting with a normal TCP connection through the player''s proxy server...

There are 3 primary protocols for that, all of them SOCKS:

SOCKS4 - Connect to proxy server, pass in desired IP address or domain name.

SOCKS4A - Same as SOCKS4 buy adds a user name authentication step.

SOCKS5 - The most complicated of the bunch, but also the most secure. Involves user name and password authentication on the proxy server before it will allow connections through the proxy.

SOCKS4 is blindingly simple, but most proxy servers use SOCKS4A and SOCKS5 because of the increased security. Never tried to program SOCKS4A or SOCKS5.

I found a Delphi sockets component that would handle all of the SOCKS proxies for me and I use that. I''m sure there are C/C++ packages flitting about the web that perform the same function.

Good luck.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Anyone know if there are any HTTP proxies that supports encryption between a standard web browser and the proxy server? I mean some completely transparent encryption that would establish a secure channel between a web browser and the proxy server (probably using SSL since that is included in most web browsers).

Henry
quote: Original post by DavidRM

I assume you mean connecting with a normal TCP connection through the player''s proxy server...

There are 3 primary protocols for that, all of them SOCKS:

SOCKS4 - Connect to proxy server, pass in desired IP address or domain name.

SOCKS4A - Same as SOCKS4 buy adds a user name authentication step.

SOCKS5 - The most complicated of the bunch, but also the most secure. Involves user name and password authentication on the proxy server before it will allow connections through the proxy.

SOCKS4 is blindingly simple, but most proxy servers use SOCKS4A and SOCKS5 because of the increased security. Never tried to program SOCKS4A or SOCKS5.

I found a Delphi sockets component that would handle all of the SOCKS proxies for me and I use that. I''m sure there are C/C++ packages flitting about the web that perform the same function.

Good luck.

DavidRM
Samu Games

How do I use these?

"the only thing I ask, is that if my games get pirated, people must do a good job of it." - Erick
How about you get a normal server working, and once you completely understand how to do that, you worry about firewalls & proxies?

And if it doesn''t do NAT, it doesn''t deserve the name firewall.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Network access translation? I think that''s what they call it...so even behind a router where the virtual IP is hidden it can still be seen throughout the rest of the world? Wouldn''t the only way to do this is to have the client behind the firewall connect to the one not behind a firewall? What if they are both behind a firewall/router?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement