🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Designer Salary

Started by
5 comments, last by Hillemperor 23 years, 6 months ago
Does anyone know what the beginning salary is for a game designer? How about the average salary? Thanks in advance. Hillemperor
Advertisement
I''m not very knowledgeable on this subject, so don''t trust me too much.

I have no clue what a game designer earns, however I can tell you what lead programmers can expect. Salaries will probably range from $75,000 to $125,000. Programmers are quite well paid. Better paid than artists on development teams. I''m sure a beginner who is trying to gain more knowledge will earn much less than what I projected.

Sorry if it wasn''t too helpful, but no one else responded to your post, so I felt obliged!

Thank you,
Alexander McAndrew
mcanda@pcgamesforyou.com
http://www.pcgamesforyou.com
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
beginning salary for a game designer? That sounds a lot like a level designer and they don''t get paid squat. Less than beginning artists, in fact.
Game *Designers* should get paid nothing. Do some programming, then we''ll talk about salary.
hmmmmmmm.
In my experience, game deisgners are almost always people who have ended up in that rle through some other job, often programming, but sometimes tetsing or production. As such, they already have a string of titles behind them, and the salary is negotiated as a one to one thing. You very rarely see a fixed game designer position available with a quoted salary. Nobody would hand over such an important role to someone without a string of previous projects behind them.
If you want to know so you can work out if its the career for you, then probably best not to bother. Most people in the games biz are in it because they feel driven to do it, they could all make more money (much more) elsewhere.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Actually here Game Designer wages ranged from $30,000 to $120,000 AUS. A Game Programmer get''s about $45,000 to $125,000 AUS.

Of course if you don''t have any experience you''re not going to get hired... not for any big project''s atleast.
I get this information from QANTM who work very close with Auran who made Dark Reign and the Auran Jet.
$75,000 to $125,000 is in California or New York numbers. More realistically, I''d say $45,000 to $100,000. This is completely dependent on experience and track record. If you''re just starting out, you''ll be a the low end of the scale. That''s how it goes.

In general, designers tend to get paid less than programmers. Design can be hard, yes, but it is much easier to get a replacement designer than a top notch programmer. That''s not a put down, just how it goes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement