🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

UDP Multicasting!?!

Started by
2 comments, last by Peter Svensson 23 years, 6 months ago
Hello folks! I have found out that there''s something called UDP Multicasting, and it seems to fill my needs. The only trouble is that i don''t know how to implement it. I have found som exampels on the subject but they are for unix or linux, and when i try to compile them on my machine (win98) it wont work couse various different things. Does anyone know of where i can find som windows source on the subject? Preferbly using winsock! // Peter - Merry x-mas! *<:o)
Advertisement
I''d use IPX instead...

I don''t think UDP multicast is supported over routes, so its gotta be on a LAN. If it''s on a LAN, and you want to broadcast, IPX is a good choice.

But it''d be nice to support udp broadcast too, incase they don''t have the IPX protocol installed... I haven''t run into any multicasting docs at msdn... Anyone else find any?

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
IPX is dieing. Standard TCP/UDP/IP is installed in virtually every single machine in the world nowadays.

However he''s right in that generally speaking multicast only works over a LAN. The MBONE does exist for multicast over the Internet but I''m not sure what''s required to use it.
quote:
IPX is dieing

Unfortunetly he''s right... its adventageous to only support one protocol across an admins whole network. But IPX is *way* more efficent on the LAN than IP. Win9x seems to have problems loading too many protocols too (MPRxxxx has caused an access violation...).

WinSock2 has support for IPX though, once the socket''s opened its not much different to send via IPX than IP.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement