🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Budget Publishers?

Started by
24 comments, last by JackNathan 23 years, 5 months ago
I will problably have a game finished within a month or two and am looking go the budget publisher route this time instead of shareware. I''ve done a search on the GameDev archives and have come up with Egames, Xtreme Games, and Crystal Interactive. Has anyone actually had anything published? I''d really love to hear your experiences. Jack
Advertisement
i''d stay with the shareware route if i were you.
you could either setup an account with real games-->
http://www.real.com/
or
if you want to go retail, your best bet is to go with
eGames, Cosmi-->http://www.cosmi.com/

don''t waste your time with those other two.
An important advice:

Whatever publisher you could be going to sign with, first try to comunicate with developers of other games who signed with that publisher so they can tell you their experiencies.

You will find that some publishers may lie far more than what you can ever imagine.

And to the other anonymous, something that I really hate of egames is that "Family Friendly" crap.
i only mentioned egames and cosmi cuz i''ve actually bought
some of thier products....well i''ve also bought products with
the Xgames logo on the packaging, but they essentially go through
egames. i''ve bought numerous other products put out by publishers that are not strictly online publishers..but most of
them got bought out.

yeah the "Family Friendly" thingy is pretty lameostic imo
but i''ve seen not so bright parents buying that stuff
for their kids.

i''ve never seen anything from crystal interactive on the budget
shelves though.
Crystal Interactive is a fake company. They steal games from developers.You can not trust them!
Oh great, another post about budget publishing that descends into name calling again.
You cannot post stuff like this anonymously. This is just begging for a ban on anon posts here at gamedev.
If anybody has a genuine case against a publisher then they should fight it in the courts and then declare everything they know on here, including details about who they are and what happened. Budget publishers get a lot of 12 year old kids sending them pong clones expecting huge royalties for them, and unless you post sensibly we have no way of knowing if you are one of these.
Also, what is wrong with family friendly as a brand? A lot of games like Kingpin and Soldier of Fortune are very violent and if i had kids i wouldnt want them to buy them. Family friendly means parents know what to expect when they buy games from egames. Its a marketing strategy, and as far as i can see, a good one.
At least they are one developer that wont pester me to put realistic blood splatters in every game.

http://www.positech.co.uk
If you''re going to bash a company, then at least do it with a registered name. Hell, at least make a fake name. At least that show a little bit more maturity.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

----------------------------
Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Crystal Interactive is a fake company. They steal games from developers.You can not trust them!

Them? You mean HIM. Crystal Interactive is a 1 person company, Alex de Vries and no one else. And that was exactly the case I was thinking about when I wrote that in yellow letters cos I talked with developers of games ''published'' by Crystal Interactive and they were just screwed up.

To cliffski, you don''t like people talking against Crystal Interactive cos Alex de Vries published Star Miner through egames but if egames wouldn''t have been insterested then you would have been screwed up just like the others.
And what I meant about family friendly was that I didn''t like that they were EXCLUSIVE about that, writing "family friendly" in a game it''s fine but what I don''t like is that they refuse to publish other kind of games and there''s no reason for that.

Anonymously yours,
Anonymous Poster. (hey, this is my real name)
Why thank you Ben Woodhouse, for sharing your totally unprecedented and furthermore unproven theories with all of us. I do not know why you think Crystal Interactive is a one man company nor do I have any insight in why you think we''re dishonest. In both cases you are sadly mistaken and I basically have one thing to say: Show proof of what you are accusing us of.

If you can''t (which we all know is obvious) I urge you to post a public apology as what you are doing is not exactly nice.

Cordially,

Alex de Vries
President and CEO
Crystal Interactive, Inc.
"A Nutridata Company"
http://www.crystal-interactive.com

P.S.: My friend cliffski suggested to me in an E-mail to kindly point everyone to the A-4 page ad in PC Gamer U.K.''s Christmas issue. It features our February 2001 frontline game "State of War" which will be available from retailers in North America, South America, Europe and Asia around that time.
What I always say is:

Where there''s smoke there''s fire.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement