🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What do I need to make a multiplayer game?

Started by
0 comments, last by Brackus 23 years, 6 months ago
All this time I have been visiting the gamedev forums, I have only read the help wanted, the artificial intelligence, and the Your announcements. I was never aware that there was this message board. I was just wondering if there was anyone who would be interested in taking me through the steps of creating a video game playable by two or more people. It could just be two circles moving in a small area, firing missles at each other. I just want to learn how to send data back and forth, and how to set up multiplayer games. Even if you do not wish to do this, would you please recommend what to use to code the game. What software to use to make it multiplayable, as well as any good books or downloads on the subject, thank you. I myself was thinking of coding in either java, or visual basic, as I have not yet learned much C++ thanks for any time you may have spent reading this, and/or responding to it. Dustin
Mess With the Best, go down like the rest, but please visit:http://members.tripod.com/nu_bgameprogramming/
Advertisement
Java sockets would probably be an easy place to start.

Nearly all games use windows sockets or direct play (which uses windows sockets), olds ones used dos IPX based stuff.

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement