🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Moderator Abilities

Started by
2 comments, last by Washu 18 years, 8 months ago
I know we've got the thread here for reformulating moderator guidelines, but I thought it might also be useful to have an explanation of exactly what's available to moderators and what it can/should be used for. As it is there isn't really any explanation of it all for new moderators, and even long-standing moderators don't seem to be aware of some of the options available to us (I've seen a lot of people ask how we can check if a PM has been sent for example). Anyways, enough of my ramble, I'll get started with a list of some of it: User Profiles: These options are accessible from the profile page of any given user: List this users account activity: Opens a page displaying the activity of the user in summary form. Each action performed by the user is displayed in a single row which lists:
  • The IP used
  • The username (this is because you can also get IP activity pages)
  • The date/time
  • The action:
    • Edited Reply
    • Edited Topic
    • Logged in
    • Modified profile
    • Posted Reply
    • Posted Topic
    • Rated User
    • Registered Account
    • User sent a PM
This list can be searched based on username (if appropriate), IP, IP range, and timeframe. Where appropriate, actions listed are a link (i.e. to the topic a user posted). This list will show you if the user has sent a PM, but doesn't list who it was sent to (and you can't view the message). List this users IPs: Opens a page displaying IPs used by the account in question. Each IP is listed in a single row, providing:
  • The IP
  • Date/Time of first use
  • Date/Time of last (most recent) use
  • Activity (as above, for either the IP or the Account)
  • Posts (for either the IP or the Account)
Also provided on this page are links to:
  • List all users that have shared at least one IP with <user>
  • List all activity by user
This page can be filtered by IP range and/or date/time. Show users that have shared at least 1 IP with this user: Fairly self explanatory. For each user that has shared at least 1 IP with this user you can pull up a list of the actual IPs shared, or a list of IPs used by a given user. Show how this user ranked other users: Shows how the user has rated others. Inoformation provided on each rating includes:
  • Username of rated user
  • The rating as a %
  • The actual change in rating generated
  • The date/time of the rating
  • The IP used
This can be filtered based on nickname, date, IP, rating, change, IP range, or date. Show how other users have ranked this user: This is the same page as above, but filtered differently to show how other users have rated the account in question. Go to this user's discipline page: Goes to the discipline page for the user. This is covered below. Discipline Page: This page is accesible from the users profile, or from the 'warning level' link displayed in forums. It serves both as a method and a record of punishment and warnings. Options available on this page are: Adjust warning level: The user's warning level can be incremented or decremented by 10% with the options here. Warning levels decrease by 10% every 14 days. Selecting decrease while the user's warning level is on 0 will allow you to leave a note in thier warning history without affecting the warning level. Suspend posting ability: Checking the box here will permenantly ban the user (can only be undone by staff). Typing a number into the box and selecting days or hours from the drop-box will allow you to create a temporary suspension. Ban user: As above, but the user will instead be banned. Temporary bans are generally not used, a suspension is more appropriate. Reason for adjustment: Explanation of warning or punishment. This is viewable by the user in question, moderators and staff, and will remain permanently listed on the page as a record for future consideration. Posting appropriate links within the explanation is often a good idea. In the case of duplicate accounts a link to the old account as well as the thread in the AAA forum is recommended. Private Message to <user>: If you fill this out, the contents will be PMd to the user in question. This can be useful to give them a more lengthy explanation of what you don't want them to do in the case of warnings/suspensions. Member warning history: Below the main form a list displays all previous warnings and punishments issued to the user in question. These can be taken into consideration when deciding how to deal with a given user. In Threads: Moderators can see deleted threads, and can still see deleted posts within regular threads. In addition, the following additional options are available. Edit posts: We can edit other people's posts. When this is appropriate is covered in the existing guidelines document. Deleting posts: This is done through the post-editing dialogue. Deleting the OP of a thread deletes the whole thread. Again, see the existing guidelines document. Warning Level: The warning level of all users is displayed to moderators, even when it's at 0 (it only shows to other users when it's above 0). This is a link to the discipline page for that particular user. User's IP: The IP used to make each post is displayed to moderators. This is a link to an "IP match for users" page listing users who have used that IP. Administrative Options: At the bottom of the page, a dropdown box titled 'administrative options' provides the following functionality.
  • Open/Close Topic
  • Move Topic (to another forum)
  • Delete Topic
  • Stick/Unstick Topic
and that covers most of the main stuff really. Also of note is the fact that the alert posts in the AAA forum link you to a some of this stuff. So, did I get anything wrong there, or miss anything important that we all need to know about?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement
IP Bans

Moderators can initiate IP bans, but they must be co-signed by a staff member before they will become active. Please post to to GDMods before setting up an IP ban; they're a fairly extreme measure and if used incorrectly can cause problems for innocent users.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I thought IP bans could be co-signed by another Moderator? Either way, they should be reported to GDMods beforehand.
Quote: Original post by evolutional
I thought IP bans could be co-signed by another Moderator? Either way, they should be reported to GDMods beforehand.

Last I checked, yes, it could be by another mod. So unless they've changed the system in the last few days...

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement