🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Publishing with Xgames

Started by
6 comments, last by gatekeeper 23 years, 5 months ago
Has anyone had any experience with Xgames LLC? I think Andre''s plans sound pretty good and I am sure I could make a game as good as some of the games he has published (for other people) but it sounds a little too easy. Is there a better alternative? I thought about self publishing but... 1. I think I need a business license for that. 2. I think it may be too much work. 3. I probably wont make ANY money. 4. It makes me look a lot better if someone publishes it besides myself. I dont want to make thousands of dollars but I would like to make enough money to justify the money I spent developing the game.
Advertisement
Go for it. I''ve never published with them, but if you don''t make any money off it, you get your copyright back and you can try somewhere else.
- HTML_Dude
I would just like to make a small comment here. XGames to me appear to be a game AGENT not a real publisher. My undrestanding is that they pay the developer 50% of the income they generate for the product.

They then sub license the game to people such as eGames who actually put the game on the shelf.

Now, in this industry agents generally recieve between 10 - 15% of any income they generate on behalf of a clients product, as they are only a middle man.

What justifies XGames getting 50% ?

My advice would be that if your product is good, then any of the publishers XGames uses would publish it directly.

Yes it is harder to get a deal this way, but in the end its also much more worthwhile.

I actually checked the XGames website, and not a single one of thier products is actually published or distributed by XGames.

You might want to think about this some more.

Thanks Anonymous. I will think about it (well, actually spend 3 months refining my game and then really think about it) but I am wary of anyone who says they will give me 50% of the profits.
50% of 15% is only 7.5% of total money made by the game.
I understood the math but I guess I will have to email them to see what the total profits for me would be.
You should try to decide on a shelf price and assume the retailers will take about 40% of that. Then you should do some research and find out what the average sales are for a relatively unknown game in that genre. From there you can estimate your worst case scenario for your game (provided you take a hand in making the game well-known) and the total earnings. From that deduct all costs and calculate your royalty percentage. It''ll probably come out to something like $100,000 for a console game. If you need some more advice, I may be able to help and I''ll tell you what I can!

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.
how did we get from xgames3d to the sum of $100000? i can assure you the two areas cannot be connected...

http://www.positech.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement