🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mphil/Phd Simulation Games in Education

Started by
1 comment, last by upersad 23 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I am doing my Mphil in electrical engineering at the University of the West Indies. The area is computer simulation games for learning/teaching purposes. I am looking for ideas in this area to implement, and of course I thought that expert games programmers could help me out. One idea I had was to implement a multiuser system where users can collaborate in groups to interact with an enginnering related simulation game ( in essence all games are simulations ... ) across a computer network. Maybe I am deriving too much inspiration from movies like The Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor and Existenz But I am really looking for some interesting and innovative ideas. Imagine that you were a student and you were offered the oppertunity to learn in such an environment. How would you want such a system to be? So, taking the view of game programmers, and as a user, I am really hoping to get some great ideas! Also if you know of any internet resources in this area ( sim games research and human computer interaction, cutting edge games programming etc. ) then I would be most grateful if you kindly let me know about them. Thanks a whole lot! Umesh Persad upersad@tstt.net.tt
Advertisement
One thing which impresses me the most with the online tutorials is their graphic content, esp the animated and interactive ones (written in java). I feel that presenting information in an animated + interactive + voice over explanation, is one of the most powerful form of learning there is. I suggest the following :

intergrate a programming language such as java as a scripting engine to create dynamic/interactive content for an existing 3D engine (quake etcc) plus the ability to have voice feedback/playback through the existing voice api (DirectVoice part of the DirectX libs). Instead of watching an online turotiral on a 2d screen, imagine walking within a virtual classroom, interacting with a dynamic simulation with feedback from the teacher/students through voice. The impact of such a simulation/stimulation is many times more powerful.

Good Luck

-ddn
One thing which impresses me the most with the online tutorials is their graphic content, esp the animated and interactive ones (written in java). I feel that presenting information in an animated + interactive + voice over explanation, is one of the most powerful form of learning there is. I suggest the following :

intergrate a programming language such as java as a scripting engine to create dynamic/interactive content for an existing 3D engine (quake etcc) plus the ability to have voice feedback/playback through the existing voice api (DirectVoice part of the DirectX libs). Instead of watching an online turotiral on a 2d screen, imagine walking within a virtual classroom, interacting with a dynamic simulation with feedback from the teacher/students through voice. The impact of such a simulation/stimulation is many times more powerful.

Good Luck

-ddn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement