🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Small Publishers

Started by
6 comments, last by Chai Peddler 23 years, 4 months ago
Hi All, I would appreciate any suggestions, comments or information regarding the following questions: 1) Besides Xtreme Games, Crystal Interactive and pcgamesforyou.com, I know of no other small publishers. Does anyone know of any other small publishers? Is there a listing of small publishers to be found? 2) I am working on my first game. I know distributors deal with stores, but I don''t think I''m interested in dealing directly with distributors at this time. How likely is it (being a newcomer) that I would be able to get my game into store shelves like Staples and Electronics Botique and such through a publisher? 3) I have read about successful games where the developer self-publishes in one way or another, usually via an internet site. Is there a significant advantage to having a professional organization publish your game for a significant chunk of profits? Or is it, in your opinion, more worthwhile to do it alone, and retain full profits? What are the major things to do and costs accrued in doing it alone? I am especially interested in responses from seasoned professionals experienced in these matters, but any help is... well, helpful. Thanks alot!
Advertisement
Xtreme games only publishes games in stores by sublicensing to other companies like valusoft (owned by activision), egames or gt value. The only games that sold decently through crystal interactive where the ones sublicensed to egames. About pcgamesforyou they only (in theory cos they didn''t start yet) will publish online, they may sublicense to a retail publisher but they can''t publish it themselves. You mention dealing with distributors, the big issue is money, the 3 companies you named have little money so the basically can''t take the risk of making copies and give them to distributors, if you want to deal with distributors you definitely need money. I''ll sent you a list of 680 email addresses of publishers (at least 50% are right) and just email them all.

Message Board about Crystal-Interactive here
I bet the 340 people who get emails that they shouldn''t wont be in the least annoyed by this spam.

http://www.positech.co.uk
If you help him/her more then I would appologize but since you didn''t reply with ANY advice and you''re hot helping that person don''t complain if the way someone else uses to help is not a perfect way.

You are not helping anyone on this board Nicole. Indeed by consequently annoying certain publishers, you damage all of us. But that''s what you are looking for, don''t you?
He/she asked for info about publishers and I sent him/her a list of them, it was more helpful than what YOU did.
The only people I annoy are the ones that cheat developers offering things they cannot provide.

www.indieparadise.com
Thank you everyone.

I am surprised there is no listing of small publishers on GameDev.Net or other sites. Gamasutra has a listing of big publishers like EA and such, but I''m interested in a smaller publisher. Wouldn''t this be pretty important for most small and newbie developers?

Anyway, thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement