🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

trademarking a name

Started by
4 comments, last by l337p33p 23 years, 4 months ago
anyone out there know how to trademark a company name?? i went to one site, and they''re like $400. hehehehe i don''t think i''ll believe that... thanks, adam
Advertisement
No, don''t believe that. It''s actually 650 USD if its for software.

The way it works is like this:
You can trademark one name but you pay for each class (=group of products) that you intend to use the name in. Software for example is one class, which now costs 650 dollars. Other classes cost 325 USD each. (the price you quote must be for that and that company takes 75 USD commision).
So for example you want a mark for a game AND to prevent people creating coffee mugs with your logo = 650USD + 325USD.
Add another 325 for every other group (there are dozens)

It takes up to 1 1/2 years to get a name actually registered (to use the (r) mark).

Don''t trademark a name unless you are sure you will use it in business. i.e. don''t trademark a name for a budget game - just come up with something that has not been used.

Two last warnings: once you pay for a mark, you will not get a refund, even if after months the us Trademark office rejects your mark. (similar sounding names, or opposition from someone holding a similar name).
Also, trademarks are only valid where registered, US marks are not legally binding in Europe, although Europe may refuse to register a mark if it sounds similar to a US mark.

Hope this helps,

Mark
To help clarify, what mark said. The tm symbol can be used by anyone for free to claim something as a trademark, but you must be sure no one else is using it and be using it in a legitimate business to lay any legal claim on it.

The (r) symbol means registered trademark, it offers you strong legal protection, but you have to use it for business or intend to use the name for business. Its expensive and you''re not guarenteed to get it, plus the wait is incredible. Mostly registered trademarks are used for larger company names, and tm for smaller companies and product logos. Unless you are microsoft youll probably will not have everything registered. Most company names arent registered so don''t think you HAVE to get it registered. BUT DO research the name, look up websites and look for a free tm search, also look up the tm law for more clarification on how u can use it. A good way to claim a tm is to register the web domains. Go for .com .net and.org if you can. It should total you 45 dollars for all 3. Plus having the name look unique helps.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Go for .com .net and.org if you can. It should total you 45 dollars for all 3. Plus having the name look unique helps.

Where can I go to register a web domain??
thanks a lot, adam
Getting a (R) for just one or two categories can cost $1000-$2000 or more if you do it through your lawyer.

I seriously recommend using an IP lawyer if you want to be successful in obtaining a registered trademark or patent.

-TS
try www.url.org for cheap domain names.. and mention me so I get commission =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement