🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Please Try My DX8 Demo

Started by
18 comments, last by LostLogic 23 years, 3 months ago
Hello All! The latest version of my DirectX 8.0 multiplayer demo game is out. You can find it at: www.lostlogic.com/dl/SpacePiratesDemo.exe Please download it, install it, and let me know if you have any problems getting it to run. Originally I had a few people who had trouble getting the video to initialize. I have made several changes and want to know what hardware (if any) it has trouble with. If you have a problem please include your relevant system hardware and software. Requirements: DirectX 8 3D Accelerator TCP/IP Directions: 1. Edit the config.txt file, type in the host's IP (could be yours) and also change "ArrogatGod" to be your player name. 2. Launch the game 3. Hit ENTER 4. Type in either HOST or JOIN 5. Play.... Arrows for movement. Space bar fires. There is a readme.txt with all of the above information in it. Thanks! LostLogic webmaster@lostlogic.com Edited by - lostlogic on March 18, 2001 11:02:44 AM

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Advertisement
Pretty cool dude...worked for me just fine..

Nvidia Annihilator ULTRA with 32MB
128 MB ram
p2-400

Just one suggestion: Next time could you make that link CLICKABLE...I mean these posts CAN accept html links

Are you gonna have another release of this game??
ie. powerups, teleporting, etc???

keep up the cool stuff dude!

Wazoo
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
It works. But I might add that running two clients on the same PC resulted in something weird: If I move my bot in Window1 it will also move in Window2. And vice versa. Just to point that out.

oh, my config:
Windows 2k (with all the latest service packs/patches)
DirectX8.0 (no a)
AMD 500Mhz, 256Mb Ram, Voodoo3 AGP

HTH,
Almar

Thanks for trying it out!

Almar Joling: Oops, I forgot to upload the latest that fixes that problem. It was a cooperative setting for Direct Input that caused that behaviour.

wazoo69: I might release another version for my readers. The purpose of the demo is for my new book on Multiplayer Game Programming.

Thanks!

webmaster@lostlogic.com
www.lostlogic.com

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Hey, was that game 2d or 3d?

-= Xienen =-
-= C++ Lead Programmer =-
-= http://www.galaxysoldiers.net =-
-= Dayle Flowers =--= Senior Engine and Gameplay Programmer =-
Xienen: It is 3D

webmaster@lostlogic.com

Wow, that game was absolutely incredibly unstable and prone to locking up my whole computer. It only ran fine when running only 1 instance of the game as a host. If trying to open the game a 2nd time while the 1st time was still running, it didnt work. When tried it full screen couldnt alt-tab out and alt-tab back in and running the 2nd instance of full screen crashed the games. If in windowed moded, running 1 game, and then opening the second game before hitting enter & host on the first game, the 2nd game would open, then could go back to the first and hit enter & host and could move the robot around fire, but in the 2nd game window (which i didnt hit enter & join in yet) you could see the bullets spreading out from the center of the 2nd window, then when finally hitting enter & join, it sat there forever trying to join and then when closed the game, it froze the comp. It tried it a few times and a few reboots to the game to work correctly, but no such luck.

I am running:
Athlon 750 w/ 256 meg ram
voodoo3 2000
winMe

Possibility
Possibility:

You are the first to respond who uses WinME, so I am not sure if that is causing instabilities with the app or not.

Couple of questions:
1. Are you running with an active Internet connection?
2. Which video drivers are you using?

Also, ALT-Tabbing may not work properly as support for that was not really given much attention.

If you dont mind, please go and download the updated executable for the game.

Can you send me the debug.txt file?

Thanks!
webmaster@lostlogic.com
www.lostlogic.com

Hey guys (and gals), I have updated the full download version with the latest code. Sorry for the lack of updates.

The latest version fixes various problems with Direct Input and Direct 3D. It is still around 1.2 megs in size.

You can download it HERE.

webmaster@lostlogic.com
www.lostlogic.com

same thing, I run the windowed version, hit enter, type host, hit enter again, walk my guy around and shoot alittle, and then run the game again, and get the error: Failed to create display device! device error. and then Unable to initialize Direct 3D. Direct3D error.

Then I tried full screen mode, opened it, hit enter - host - enter and walked around and fired alittle, hit alt-tab to go back to windows, then right back into the game, and just get a black screen. I can fire the gun and still here it, but i just get a black screen, your objects arent being restore properly.

Also, I am on a T1 network.
I have a voodoo3 2000 with the latest drivers.
I did a test and went and ran several of the D8 D3D SDK samples and could run as many as I wanted similtaneously.

Possibility

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement