🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cover CDs?

Started by
1 comment, last by Jester101 23 years, 3 months ago
Hi, how much can one expect if a major computer magazine puts ones full version on their cover CD? 500$?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
i doubt you would get anything... magazines dont usually buy software from companies, as far as im aware. Companies normally only let magazines put older version, or special editions(cut down versions)of there software on cover CDs, and there will usually be some agreement where the company buys full-page ad-space close to where the software is mentioned in the mag. They might also put a demo of the latest verson on the CDs, or the company will offer an upgrade to the newest version at a discount. Basically its just a way of getting people who have never tried your product to play around with it, and hopefully temp them into buying upgrades of the latest version etc.. people are much more likely to try out completely free software, than a time/feature limited demo. So magazines get great software on there CDs to temp more people to buy the mag, and companies get great advertising.
I would imagine things are maybee alitle different for games, you dont get that many full free games(unless there freeware already) on CDs and there usually fairly old if you do. Usually its just demos of games on CDs, sometimes youll get a magazine that gets an exclusive demo that nobody else has yet, and they hipe it up giving several page features/reviews etc.. and the company may buy ad-space close to the review etc.
Basically advertising is gonna be at the heart of most deals, because thats how most magazines make any money.
What is it with this "anonomous poster" stuff... are you ashamed to sign up or something????
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement