🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Packet Generator / Sniffer

Started by
3 comments, last by Zipster 23 years, 3 months ago
I recently set up a little mini network between my computer upstairs and the communion computer downstairs, with a hub and everything But I want to test certain things and I need to Packet Generator / Sniffer. I''ve tried searching for one, but 95% of them are for Linux or NT, and the other 4.9999% cost thousands. I''m looking for that 0.1111% that is free for download, and works quite well. Can anyone help me?
Advertisement
Heh, your maths is slightly wrong. 5 - 4.9999 is 0.0001 not 0.1111, anyway, thats irrelevent. I have yet to seen any good free network monitors for windows 95/98/2k, they are all very bad. You might wanna search for distinct network monitor but to be honist it isnt that good and it has a time limit. Its probably the best one out for windows but I dont like it very much.

There is another option however, if you want you can setup a unix or nt server, install a proxy server, then use that proxy server as a relay between the two computers. You can then put a packet sniffer on that unix or nt machine to see the packets passing through. Its a nice effeicent way of doing things, infact, its even possible to cheat on games like quake 3 like this if you run a specailly designed bot that can modify the packets.

CorsairK8
I think this is a shareware sniffer or maybe someone sent me a crack version of but it''s called IRIS packet sniffer and its awesome. Search for it...
quote:
its even possible to cheat on games like quake 3 like this if you run a specailly designed bot that can modify the packets.

There are too many ppl aware of this :o(

&ltMagmai rails CorsairK8>
quote:
install a proxy server

NO!
It's a NAT server (network address translation) and is distinctly different than a proxy server.

NAT is packet level, proxy is application level.

And thanks to something called PureFuck & nopbot you don't even need a NAT server anymore.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on March 11, 2001 2:15:51 AM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement