🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Classical Music

Started by
6 comments, last by Landsknecht 23 years, 3 months ago
I am posting this in a couple different places. Would I be violating anything if I included OLD music in my games? I mean like Back or Chopin kind of stuff. I can''t make music to save my life and want to add some to my projects. Any ideas? Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Advertisement
YES!
1. First where do you get the musicians from? I guess from a CD you bought and they are copywrited.
2. There are organizations that are protecting the right of the old music. You might get away with paying 250$ though.

I am not sure about 2., but 1. is definately right.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

I''m not sure I agree with that, doesn''t copyright die out after a hundred years (or something like that)?
If you transpose it yourself then I don''t see a problem. Getting hold of the music is easy, then you can plug the notes into a music program of your choosing.
Gee Brain, what we gonna do tonight?
Im not comlpetly sure but i think it goes like:

yes, u can include the music, IF you pay an artist to play it (or u do it in your computer/by your self)

if u are trying to use a wav u ripped from a CD, check the cd for copyright info (there must be, even it is invisible to the naked eye )
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
The music is no longer copyright but any CD recording almost certainly is. Previous posters were correct. You could pay someone to play the music and use a recording of that but you can''t use someone elses recording.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Actually Copyright on music/recordings "expires" after around 30 years. Might be slightly different in the U.S.
To play music you usually have to get permission and pay royalties.

What I would do is purchase game music CD''s (a few around on the net) which are royalty free which means as long as you paid for the CD you can use the music on it as much as you like, etc.

Some game programming books come with royalty free music aswell so might want to check that out
You might be interested in this link.

http://www.catovah.com/royalty-free-music.htm
OK just being pedantic here but we were mostly refering to recordings on CD. As CD wasn''t in use 30 years ago there wont be any CD recordings that are out of copyright.

Anyway I think the original poster gets the idea. The royalty free music suggestion is probably the best one.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement