🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Starting Point

Started by
3 comments, last by Sartol 23 years, 3 months ago
Greetings. I have written a simple isometric tank fighting game using OpenGL and I am thinking about attempting multyplayer for it. I don''t want to do anything fancy, just for maybe two or three people playing over a LAN or via modem. What I need is some recommendations on books, websites, etc that would provide me a good starting point for learning network programming in c++. I would rather not use DirectPlay as I would like to keep the requirements to play the game to OpenGL compatable hardware only. Thanks.
Advertisement
Yea, I have been looking all over for information on writing winsock code and so far I can''t find what I am looking for.

Please help us! :D
-Chazz
There is an article on this site called ''Winsock 2.0 for games'' I believe, which can teach you the basics of Winsock and a few other details. Even though you do not wish to use DirectPlay, look at the SDK documentation anyway to get some ideas. Also, you might want to look at some other games source (if you think you are good, try Quake''s networking code).

-Mezz
http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/index.html

its the winsock programmers FAQ, with some nice source code thrown in there

--LordKaT

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
LostLogic has a book coming out very soon, there''s a post in this forum about it!

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement