🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Master Servers

Started by
7 comments, last by lutas 23 years, 3 months ago
Are there any companies that offer a server that a developer can use to list all the IP''s of servers that are running a game? Also what about costs? Are there any that will give you an old 166 in the corner connected to ISDN etc for little return? (advertising space or small fee) I only ask since I was thinking about a freeware multiplayer game but if the cost for servers presents itself I am afraid it will have to become shareware or purchase credits etc Philip Lutas CEO of Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Advertisement
I can help you out. Depending on what exactly you need I''ll try to accomadate.

just e-mail me at kalvinb602@hotmail.com

Eventually I''ll have my own mail server but for now Hotmail suffices.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com
Ok thanks it sounds good - email me >
lutas@opticalrealities.co.uk with more information when you have it ok?

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities
Hi KalvinB (sorry i''ve disappeared for a while),
Just curious as to what your system specs are ?

Also do people know of any good game hosting companies that support Windows not just *nix ?
Could somebody clear up this ISDN deal for me? Over here (Germany), ISDN is 64kbit/s. I don''t suppose you really asked for someone hosting on a 64kbit/s-line, did you? Otherwise.. well, a 56k/s-modem isn''t much slower....

cu,
Prefect

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Could somebody clear up this ISDN deal for me? Over here (Germany), ISDN is 64kbit/s. I don''t suppose you really asked for someone hosting on a 64kbit/s-line, did you? Otherwise.. well, a 56k/s-modem isn''t much slower....

cu,
Prefect

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Single channel ISDN is 64kbit, though as far as I know most American ISDN is dual channel (128kbit)

saai
well, irrevelant of speed this is what i think lutas means.
he wants a master server to list all the available games being hosted on the actual peoples computers. So the master server isnt really running the game, when you start a game as the server it will send a message to this master server of your ip, game type, etc....and then if you choose to play the game and not as the server then you will conect to the master server and it will send to you a list of available games

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Yeh that pretty much sums it up ncsu...

I am planning on letting the users host (dedicated or otherwise) and the master server is just the best method for the clients to find the IP''s of the hosts.

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement