🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good DirectX 8.0 (more specifically DirectPlay) site

Started by
6 comments, last by StarGamer_Nick 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, I know that the Multiplayer Programming book from our friend LostLogic will be out in june, but I have to find a way to programm under a Client/Server Application (mostly the server) before that using DirectX 8.0. I''ve tried to find info on a lot of site but all of them seem to cover back version of DirectX and the info find on Microsoft ofcourse is very sketchy at best. Right now I''m having a specific problem with SetServerInfo from the IDirectPlayServer8 interface if anyone has a lot of knowledge about it. I find it frustrating that Microsoft don''t provid good information with their software. If DirectPlay wasn''t so practical I would have drop it a long time ago. Anyway, if you know or find any good info it would save me a lot of test times. Thanks Nick
Advertisement
What''s your specific SetServerInfo problem?
I HAD a specific problem using the function because I kept getting an invalid flag message but the problem has been solve thanks (turns out there''s one flag I had to specify has null and that wasn''t very clearly said in the DX 8.0a doc.)

Nick
Let me know if you have any more problems. Although my book doesnt go to print until 6/5, I can still help people out.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
webmaster@lostlogic.com

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Thanks for the offer

I''ve almost completed the "DirectPlay usage" part of my game (after I was mnetion a few things which weren''t mention in the doc) Now my next worry is multithreading. They mention a few things in the doc (they use Critical Section) but they don''t say explicitly how it works, only how to use it. Usually, I try to avoid multithread by using various method, but it looks like I might not have a choice this time. Any pointers or trick that you could tell me would be very welcome.

Nick
You''ve probably heard this before, but DirectPlay isn''t that good. I have been using it for a couple of years, but really wish I had used winsock instead. There is a set of notes on www.flipcode.com if you really need to make DPlay work which look good, that may have the answers you need.

Steve T.
Actually, the new version of DirectPlay is far more easy to handle when you get the hang of it.

I find it very easy compare to winsock. (although I don''t want to turn this into a DirectPlay vs Winsock debate.)

Nick
StarGamer_Nick:

FYI, My book covers multithreading with both mutexes and critical sections. So, check it out.

The basic rule of thumb is that you need to put any global memory access in a critical section. Unless it is read only.

Anyway, ask me any questions you may have about it and I will try to answer them. (Email is the best method)

LostLogic
webmaster@lostlogic.com
www.lostlogic.com

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement