🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Securing financing

Started by
10 comments, last by Mmeltdown 23 years, 2 months ago
Recently our company has begun work on creating a next generation XBox title, and we are currently in the hiring phase. However our finances are limited from the other divisions of the company and we need to figure a way to get money for the six month period previous to our finalizing our publishing deal. We have thought about many different forms of financing, ranging from independant investors to a straight 8% loan. Our problem lies in the fact that we have a little under a month to secure the neccasary cash. DavidRM, you have some experience in this field, if you have any advice please leave a post. Elliott Sommer CEO - Unirok
Advertisement
I don''t mean to be picky, but, this is what you posted in the announcements section..

After 35 years as a company we have opened a large budget towards the production of an FPS for the Xbox using the Lithtech engine.

Now, does it seem like you are contradicting yourself or is it just me ?
We''ve always self-funded our projects up to this point. Using the revenue from the last project to help fund the current project.

So we''re in the process of learning the same thing you are. Learning how to pitch a title, how to secure funding, and so on.

Attending the GDC last week was a big step in the right direction, I think, if for no other reason than the sheer magnitude of "networking oppurtunities".

DavidRM
Samu Games
It is true that we have opened a large budget toward development, however this is still not enough to cover expences other than staff and basic software, the money I am seeking is not for these needs but for hardware and misc.
Dosent ANYONE try to make low budget games anymore?
Just a thought.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Yup, I sure do. Not with a whole lot of success though... probably better percentage wise, and for the amount of advertising, than your average heap of big-budget bombs.

Mike Hommel
Hamumu Software
jamul@hamumu.com
http://www.hamumu.com
"Big Budget" is a relative term. Since our projects are paid for out of our own pockets, a project that takes 6 months is something of a "big project". After all, going 6 months without food can be fatal...

And yet, a 6 month project in the game industry, overall, isn''t really that "big" of a project.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Actually the six month period is all that microsft is giving us to complete this project, un=til we locate a publisher.

Elliott Sommer
From my experience I would stay away from investors unless they
understand the game business. Too many either think it is a quick
buck or strap you in because they sense you are desperate.

Spend your own money or worse still if you have a publisher take a cut in the royalty to fund it.

To cliffsky, in any thread about games budget a message from you saying that you don''t need a lot of monet to make great games had to appear, and I completely agree, that no one tries to make low budget games anymore is sad but true, and getting worse. I liked Star Miner (I only played the demo) but I have about 100 demos of big budget games in CDs of magazines and I liked Grand Theft Auto 1 (2D), The Settlers III (also 2D), Postal, Monkey Island 3 (MI1 was better), all the others were shit, some were so annoying that I just hated them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement