🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lobbies - Who? Where? Why? How? etc..

Started by
2 comments, last by ByteMe95 23 years, 2 months ago
Hey everyone. I have a multiplayer game going nicely, and I''d like to make it lobbyable. I think i''ve coded it to be lobbyable, but now I have no idea how to make a lobby. What exactly goes into making one?? Does it have to be in game? I think I''ve seen web based lobbies, like Microsoft''s Gaming Zone, but I dont know if that works with non-web based games. So I guess i just wanna know what exactyl goes into it, what are the various ways to go about it, the easiest ways to go about it, and any other info you have I arleady have chatroom code written, but that works in game once the palyers have joined a session. Dont know if that''ll help Thanks - Rob ByteMe95::~ByteMe95() Cerebrum Software
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
Advertisement
It depends of multiplayer server''s programming manner. Need more detailed description.
Vitaly V. Tatarintsev
Well, I dont know what kind of information you''re looking for exactly.
The game is set up as peer-peer right now with a maximum of TWO players in a single game, where one simulates being the host (The one who created the session)

the can only connect now by puting in the ip address, or calling each other''s modem, or serial connection, etc...

but it would be nice if I can have a lobby where people can meet each other and create their own sessions and then when two people get in on a session, run the game without them having to enter any of the annoying information (eg. IP address)

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()
Cerebrum Software
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite

Generally if you coded you application using DPlay and followed the guidelines of MS how to make a DPlay application lobbyaware you can use any DPlay/lobby compatible system to start the game. (e.g. the Kali-Client www.kali.net). Unfortunately you will most likely fail to code your own lobby-server because the specificatons about lobby servers are not public, or better so far i failed to find any specifications for it.

Another way is, to include the matchmaking and lobby into your game, which results usually in a more easy to use game.And you have the advantage that the lobby is in look and feel of your game. Some Companies offer free/almost free sdk''s to use their matchmaking and ranking services. Most notably GameSpy (http://developer.gamespy.com) and Net-Games (http://developer.net-games.com)

-connex

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement