🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Faking Latency

Started by
9 comments, last by Beowulfe 23 years, 1 month ago
Anyone know of any utilities that can simulate poor network performance for testing purposes?? I was thinking of a program that would accept incoming connections, hold the packets for a pre-determined amount of time, then forward the packets along to another set destination... Anyone heard of something like this, or will I have to make my own? -Andy Programming is an art form that fights back.
Advertisement
something like that came with DX8

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
Do you know what the name of the utility/whatever is that does this, or where in DirectX8 it''s located? I''ve looked over it pretty extensively, and have failed to see anything related to creating poor network performance. Thanks!

-Andy

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
Poor network performance was built into DX. You don´t have to activate it anywhere..

heheh...just kidding..
-------------Ban KalvinB !
now that i look, i cant find it in my directx 8 stuff either. But I certainly remember it from previous versions of directx. It was a program included that would intercept some of your packets, delay them, and drop some of them.

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
The easiest way is use a shell account to ping you, have a freind ping you, or ping your self, just use something to bog you down...
You may even end up writing a simple proxy yourself

Note that if you simulate troubles on a UDP connection, don''t only delay packets. Drop them as well, and even better, change the order in which they are forwarded from time to time. Also make sure that you implement jitter (i.e. changing ping times).

If you''re simulating troubles on a TCP connection, try putting a cap on the amount of data you''re forwarding per second.

cu,
Prefect

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
The DirectX SDK provides a "Parser" DLL which can be used with NetMon. NetMon is a utility supplied with the Win 2K server system but if you can get your hands on it it will work on a Win 2K box. This utility provides network monitoring capabilities, packet capture and filtering. The parser dll that comes with the SDK allows you to filter just the DirectPlay messages for logging.

Unfortunatly this system only allows for packet snooping and analysis it does not have the capacity to hold and delay or even drop packets.

I''m currently looking for a utiliy to do this meyself. I have this nasty feeling that I will have to write it myself, if only time allowed.

If anyone knows a such a system, speek up!

(ps. if your going to nab Netmon for your Win 2K box theres an extra DLL in the system32 directory it needs, can''t remeber what it is called though)
Wouldn''t the DX7 utility work? Although I think it would be incompatible, there might be a very small chance...
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
This is just what I remember from somewhere I used to work, but Cisco (I believe) makes hardware switches that are fairly inexpensive and can simulate different connections, complete with bandwidth / packet dropping, congestion, etc...

I''d probably rather try one of those than a software solution, but I''m a bit of a purist.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement