🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectPlay8 Grouping Question

Started by
0 comments, last by Wuzzbent 23 years, 2 months ago
The DX8 SDK doesn''t describe at all what exactely the flag in the DirectPlay8Server.CreateGroup routine.. Basically the flags are: DirectPlay8Server.CreateGroup MyGroup As DPN_GROUP_INFO, FLAGS DPNADDPLAYERTOGROUP_SYNC DPNCONNECT_SYNC DPNCREATEGROUP_SYNC DPNDESTROYGROUP_SYNC DPNENUMHOSTS_SYNC DPNHOST_OKTOQUERYFORADDRESSING DPNOP_SYNC DPNREMOVEPLAYERFROMGROUP_SYNC DPNSETCLIENTINFO_SYNC DPNSETPEERINFO_SYNC DPNSETSERVERINFO_SYNC I have no clue what these flags are used for, All I''m basically doing is giving each player their own group and adding other players who are within visual range of the player into his/her group, basically map zoning so data isn''t being sent to other people who don''t require it.. A explanation on these flags or a website that will explain them would be greatly appretiated.. Wuzzbent
-Wuzzbent
Advertisement
All of the DPN*_SYNC flags you listed will cause the function call to operate in Syncronous mode. Usually, the function will return right away, and the operation will complete when DirectPlay gets around to it. Upon completion, you will get a DPNMSG_ASYNC_OP_COMPLETE message. However, by specifying one of these flags, the function will not return until the operation is complete.

The *_OKTOQUERYFORADDRESSING flag signifies that if DirectPlay receives incomplete addressing info for one of the service providers (i.e. if a call to IDirectPlay8Client::Connect() was made, and the server address is missing), DirectPlay can pop up a dialog box and query the user for more information

Hope that helps

Jonathan Hildebrandt
Software Engineer
Microsoft DirectPlay / DirectPlay Voice

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement