🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Wireless gaming

Started by
15 comments, last by spooki 23 years, 1 month ago
Hi, Is there anyone here who is working on wireless gaming projects? Is this the appropriate forum to discuss business issues related to wireless gaming? Thanks Nitish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nitish Jain CEO, Nazaragames.com E-mail: nitish@nazara.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
============================Nitish JainCEO,Nazaragames.comE-mail: nitish@nazara.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Wireless gaming, PC / Console gaming and Internet based gaming! Let's talk :)============================
Advertisement
Personally, this topic makes me cringe... I don''t really relish the idea of trying to create a game for an underpowered CPU with a 20x40 pixel display. Hangman, anyone? Big cell phone giants are going ga-ga over this stuff, but I think pretty soon the reality is going to set in.

Or maybe I''m wrong.

Ditto. The things have what, a 25MHz processor? Maybe a meg of RAM? BASIC programming would be about those things'' speed...
http://edropple.com
i agree, since most Cell phones come with a snake game, pretty much similar to the Qbasic game Nibbles.

"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."
"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."
Remember the Tamagotchis? those electronic pets, LOL
A lot of people bought that. LOL
How does one go about trying to make one of them thingies? I reckon I''d like to give it a go as the simple platform will certainly reduce the complexity expected in a title, hence the development work involved.

I doubt that there is much money in it, in so far that it is unlikely to be an easy dollar, but some money is better than none, and like I said... it should be fairly easy.

--------------------------------------
Why run? You''''ll only die tired.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------Why run? You''ll only die tired.--------------------------------------
Hi Guys,

Dont underestimate the potential of wireless gaming especially with revenues.

For instance, we run a service with mobile operators where users play SMS based games.

We are generating about $10,000 in revenues through our revenue share on the number of SMS messages sent and this is growing exponentially as the games become more and more poular.

Not only that, corporates are willing to deliver ingame messages to users directly and pay for that!

I guess mobile gaming is very much in its infancy but atleast I believe its going to be a big market. afterall, when you are waiting for some one, or in the train etc the only thing you have for your entertainment is normally your mobile!

Wireless gaming is HUGE in Japan. I think its still taking off in the US?

Regards,

Nitish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nitish Jain
CEO,
Nazaragames.com
E-mail: nitish@nazara.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
============================Nitish JainCEO,Nazaragames.comE-mail: nitish@nazara.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Wireless gaming, PC / Console gaming and Internet based gaming! Let's talk :)============================
How about we sell crack along with the games, to make them more fun? So that way we could sell Tomb Raider 47 with free crack, and they wont realize they are playing worms on a screen smaller than their thumb.

As for mobile games, isn''t that what the gameboy does? Why try to beat out something with a user base of millions for such a pathetic product.

Who''s really silly enough to pay for $10K worth of garbage games?

He obviously has been fooled by the corporate madness that has brainwashed him into believing Worms is a fun high-tech game that will amuze him for countless hours.

What about toilet paper with advertising, cheaper cell phones that are paid with advertising with messages sent every day, cheaper phone lines where you get advertising calls and you''re forced to listen (like the recorded voice saying which number you should press and you have to do it to keep the phone line), a deal with some hospitals to offer a promotion of a lower cost for surgeries if you allow them to leave the scar shaped as some company''s logo, cheaper houses and appartments if when you rent them or buy them they have all the walls painted with advertising with a contract saying that you cannot remove the paint nor cover more than 5% of the area with other stuff.
And about games we can cover the boxes of the games with some special glue that when people touch them they get stucked and they have to end up buying the game to leave the store.
Something that''s often overlooked when considering games for portable devices like cell phones is: Gameplay is not a feature of graphics diplay.

Don''t assume that games on a cell phone and *for* a cell phone are going to resemble games on a PC. Don''t assume that for such games to be successful they have to support clones of the currently popular PC or console games.

And disregarding as "garbage" such games and their potential simply because you cannot envision how they would work is laughable in itself. Recall that the Gameboy system that you hold up as the reason such games will fail was disregarded as a viable game system when it first came out, as well. After all, it had only a simple B&W LCD graphics display, and minimal RAM.

Design games *for* the device and you can offset the weaknesses of that device. Don''t get stuck in the mindset that what is coming has to look like what is already here.

DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement