🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Wireless gaming

Started by
15 comments, last by spooki 23 years, 1 month ago
You guys are so behind the times. The japanese are developing hand held wireless devices capable of full color 3d animation.
Advertisement
so behind the times?
eat another atomic bomb.
Hi ,

I agree with DavidRm. The SMS games we develop are only Text based.No graphics at all.

The games are not *bought* by players - only used through sending SMS. One game tha-t we have is along the lines of who wants to be a millionaire.

W-e average about 10,000 messages sent by players every day. I think that in itself speaks about the potential and popularity of such games.

In no way do i think wireless games in the given limitations can compete with PC and console based gaming. But I definitely do think they have a huge potential as a 2 minute time killer when someone is waiting for something.

The challenge for developers making wireless games is not the graphics but the gameplay to make it engaging and sticky enough.

Regards

Nitish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nitish Jain
CEO,
Nazaragames.com
E-mail: nitish@nazara.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
============================Nitish JainCEO,Nazaragames.comE-mail: nitish@nazara.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Wireless gaming, PC / Console gaming and Internet based gaming! Let's talk :)============================
As a point, this WAP/Wireless games talk brings up a very good gaming point.

Isn''t our goal (as potential, amateur, or pro developers) to make the best games on whichever system we use?

To say ''we can''t make good games on a system with such limited capabilites'', or ''they won''t make any money because of these limitations'' is pretty much against the very ideal of what the games industry was originally built on. Without a simple game like space invaders, we probably wouldn''t have a game like HalfLife.

On the other hand, I do think it is strange how huge companies see fit to put so much money into this unknown side of the industry (see a few developments at E3 to see what I mean).

Either way, if a company is offering me money to make creative games for them I''m going to limitations aside......Imagination is all you need to make good games for a small system :-)

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Hi all,

I work for one of the largest wireless companies in Canada. We are considered to be leaders in the field of wireless internet content.

Out of all of the offerings we have...mobile browsing, news, weather, sports, shopping, etc. The number 1 revenue generator is wireless games!

The games themselves are pretty simplistic...blackjack, poker, millionaire...but the amount of airtime spent on them goes up every quarter...

I think we are on the verge of a new boom...wireless gaming. I want to see people developing FPS for the cellphone, or how about an RPG that other players could dial into?

The technology is getting better all the time...1XRTT, soon 3G...we will definately have the ability to have full motion video very soon.

Now is the time to get onboard!

Now, I have no idea how to build a WAP game or create the animation...but I do know the wireless industry, have a great deal of contacts, and can market a product like this.

If anyone is interested in getting involved in creating some new, exciting content for the wireless products of the future, drop me an e-mail.

zero412@hotmail.com
Interesting... perhaps I will have to eat my words! David certainly makes a good point.

I can definitely see things like trivia games doing well on cell platforms... or other low-bandwidth type of entertainment. I guess my original comments were a result of my bias towards games with a little more depth than that. I don''t spend a lot of time playing Scrabble and Slingo. But of course these games have huge followings.
Hi ,

An interesting experiment that we carried out locally was very succesful.

We sent out in-game advertisement messages for a local pizza delivery outfit saying "Call at and order a piping hot pizza now!"

We sent out these messages just before and during lunch hours everyday through our proprietory NAMES (Nazara Mobile Entertainment Server) across the several games being played by users.

The response in terms of direct pizza orders were phenomenal and the pizza shop is now willing to pay us good amounts of cash for advertising these messages on an ongoing basis.

Also, users did not seem to mind the promo message at the bottom.

Any thoughts on this aspect of mobile entertainment? Using it as a promotional platform?

Regards

Nitish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nitish Jain
CEO,
Nazaragames.com
E-mail: nitish@nazara.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
============================Nitish JainCEO,Nazaragames.comE-mail: nitish@nazara.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Wireless gaming, PC / Console gaming and Internet based gaming! Let's talk :)============================

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement