🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this bad???!!!

Started by
0 comments, last by Ecko 23 years, 1 month ago
Ok as of right now my ideas for implementing a networking module to be used in games is use a TCP/IP socket for reliable data, and a UDP/IP socket for unreliable data...is this bad?! ----------------------------------------------------------- "People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
-----------------------------------------------------------"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
Advertisement
I don''t know if it is good or bad, I will let someone else try to answer that one.

I do know that it is possible to implement your own guaranteed (reliable) packet delivery system for UDP, infact such a question was posted here recently and a good response was given on how to do it. I also know that DirectPlay 8 seems to send all its messages in UDP packets. This would suggest to me that UDP/IP is perhaps the better solution.

I believe that TCP/IP uses smaller protocol headers but the delivery times can be slow. UDP/IP uses much larger protocol headers and there is no guarenteed delivery or order. But it is much faster.

From every thing I have read I would suggest that UDP/IP with your own delivery mechanisems would be a better solution.

Hope this helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement