🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MMOG Implementation Concept?!?

Started by
-1 comments, last by Kinfira 23 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I am trying to grasp the implementation concept behind a massively multiplayer online game. For example what I mean is what is the design concept for implementing a server for a game that you want to have at least 100 people playing at the same time? In online RPGs like AC or EQ, are they real-time? If so how do they handle player movement? For example if there are 50 people in a town all moving about in real-time, what sort of system would you need to keep track of all of them? Do you simply send all player movement info to every client? Is that simply too much data to handle? OK I think I better get specific here. I have a game design concept for a multiplayer game where each client is a unit in the game. For simplicity''s sake lets just say that each unit can only move about the world (forward, backward, turn left, turn right, strafe left, strafe right). If those were the only movements available, what sort of design concept would need to be implemented? The server knows everything about all players, location, direction, movement status, etc. Would I simply need to update all player clients with info about other players within a certain radius of each other? I pretty much under stand how to design the multiplayer aspect for a system that may handle say 8 to 16 players, but is that same system sufficient enough for handling more than 100 players at the same time? I hope I explained that correctly. If not e-mail me at kinfira@hotmail.com and I will try to answer any questions further. Regards, Kinfira
Regards, KinfiraLead ProgrammerKinfiraSoftMakers of Swordplay, a 3D fighting game engine.Check out our home on the web:http://www.kinfirasoft.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement