🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

is there a tut on mp programming?

Started by
3 comments, last by shurcool 23 years ago
i''m using vc++ 6 and OpenGL for my games, is there any tuts on how to make a simple mp game? thanks, shurcool. shurcool.
Advertisement
You need to look up Winsock or DirectPlay.

I recommend DPlay as it''s much easier to get going and works great. If portability is an issue go with Winsock.

DPlay has nearly no documentation. You have to go off of the demos included with DX for the most part. I got it going within an hour or two doing that. dpconnect.cpp is about all you need.

Winsock has alot of information available though I''m not sure what kind of prewritten libraries are available.

I havn''t done any tutorials yet but within the next few months I should have one or two going.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Hi shurcool,

I dont have any tutorials up on my web-site yet, but my book is available. It covers how to use both sockets and DirectPlay.

The graphics part is all about using DirectX 3D, but you can use the networking code with OpenGL.

Doh! I forgot to add the name of the book: Multiplayer Game Programming. You can find it at my website or on Amazon.com.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

Edited by - LostLogic on June 9, 2001 11:49:11 PM

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Is the book out yet? I am looking on amazon.com and it doesnt say if its available yet.

Also, where are some web sites I can order it from (to compare prices)?

Possibility
It went to print on 6/5, so it should start shipping any day now. Be careful of the listed price though as some of the sites have the original 49.95 price instead of the real 59.95 price.

The price of the book went up because it originally started out at an estimated 600 pages but ended up being over 800 pages in length.

It is for sale at the following locations:

www.amazon.com
www.fatbrain.com
www.bn.com
www.borders.com
www.bamm.com

You may have to search under multi-player game programming instead of multiplayer game programming for some of the sites as they have the "old" name listed. You can also search under my name, Todd Barron.

Thanks!

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement