🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

To lobby or not to lobby?

Started by
1 comment, last by stefu 23 years ago
I''m writing game engine and it has also networking support. Currently it uses the NetConnectWizard that comes with DirectX 8 SDK. But the code is so _messy_ that I''m now rewriting it from the beginning and making it simple. The only thing that I''m considering is lobbying. To implement or not to implement? Does someone of you develop lobbyable app? Any comments and ideas are welcome! Personally I think it''s not worth it, just a waste of time for one man to do. Does anyone use IPX nowadays? I thought to forget it (and few others), just support TCP/IP for simplify.
Advertisement
I have yet to worry about making my apps lobbyable. I do plan on putting up a tutorial about it on my website sometime though.

As for IPX, I would not worry about implementing it. Personally, I only support TCP/IP (UDP) type communication in my games. It keeps things simple code wise.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Same here, lobbies are something I have yet to work on. But the managers seem to want it.

I feel a simple lobby would suffice, basically a method by which people can chat about the level they wish to play.

So a simple chat mechanisem built into the server which can be kicked into action as the game level is being set-up.

We will see what what the future brings.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement