🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Network Server...How?

Started by
5 comments, last by STVOY 23 years ago
Well Now, I''m not sure which forum to post this in but since this mention multiplayer I think it should go here. I''ve recently been thinking of creating a server for my LAN. However I realised I don''t really know how to go about it or infact how difficult it would be and also what spec such a server should be. So if any could give me some pointers or point me to some articles that would help I''d be grateful... STVOY Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)
Advertisement
What are you creating the server for? For example:

1. Game server for Quake 3 (or your own game)
2. File server for users on the LAN
3. Exchange server
4. SQL server
5. Web server

The specifics for a server vary widely from need to need. Its sort of like asking, "How big does my office building need to be?" Well, it depends, what are your requirements...

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Well Now,

Sorry forgot to mention it''s a games server...Also once it had been set up could I still use it normally in a LAN as a normal machine (not a sever) sort of switching between roles?

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

A "server" is just a machine on the LAN that happens to be running the software that clients connect to. There is nothing special about it, especially in the case of a games server. Setting up a Quake server, for example, is as easy as selecting "dedicated server" on their game start menu. Then other machines on the network will see it when you look for LAN games.
Pyabo is correct in the sense that a server is really nothing more than a "specially" configured computer.

If you are only wanting to setup a game server for other games, such as Quake 3, then just build the most CPU powerful computer you can afford.

If you want to play games on it as well you will need a graphics card of course.

If you are wanting a dedicated games server then I do not recommend playing on it at the same time. This causes unecessary overhead and can be problematic if your client crashes and takes the server down with it.

Personally, my "game" server has the following configuration: Dual 1ghz CPUs(P3), 1 gig RAM, RAID0 60gb ATA-100 drives mirrored, and GeForce 3 64-meg video. I run Windows 2000 Advanced Server on it.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Well Now,

I as going to use a Celeron 500 192MB RAM and 3 20GB Removable SCSI HDD''s Windows 2000 OEM. Would that spec not be powerful enough to run a Q3 game fast. I am only going to have 10 computers on the LAN. I am curious Lost Logic how many machines does that beast of a server support and how many would you say it could easily handle?

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

Your computer should handle it just fine. Since you are playing on a LAN you shouldnt have much trouble. Beefy servers are only really needed for games that use server-side calculations such as for MMORPGs. Since Quake3 "trusts" clients, the server itself doesnt have to do too much except push packets.

I use a powerful machine because I am designing a persistent world type game where the servers actually calculate the outcome of situations, not the clients. I am not sure how many connections it can handle for Quake3, I don''t use it for that.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement