🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

which is the best way?

Started by
4 comments, last by Orlando 23 years ago
The map file of a multiplayer game (as Ultima) is located in server or in the client? I think this for a speed solution: map file in client and objects in map on the server! Is this correct? Thanks and excuse me for my english!
Advertisement
The server also needs the world map to determine player movement, creature pathing, etc.

One method is to update the client with the latest world data for the "cell" they are in. For example, Asheron''s Call breaks the world up into a grid of cells. When you cross into a new cell, the game checks your version of the cell. If you have an old version, the server sends you the new cell information. This method keeps clients from having to download the entire map at once. Clients only have to download the portion they need.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

I doubt that is ever a right way to do things in programming© Certain methods might work better for certain things but in the end you need to decide© To be honist, id say its easier to implement a system when the map files are stored and split up server-side, so each map is a differnt country or so©©© You can then have the client download the maps as they reach the appropriate areas© Sure its possible for people to view the maps once they understand the format but its unlikely that will give them much of an advantage if you handle scripted events on the server© Good luck©©©
CorsairK8@Fnemesis.comLinux Debian/GNU RulezThis is my signitory!C Is Tha Best!
I doubt that is ever a right way to do things in programming© Certain methods might work better for certain things but in the end you need to decide© To be honist, id say its easier to implement a system when the map files are stored and split up server-side, so each map is a differnt country or so©©© You can then have the client download the maps as they reach the appropriate areas© Sure its possible for people to view the maps once they understand the format but its unlikely that will give them much of an advantage if you handle scripted events on the server© Good luck©©©

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement