🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Enumerating Hosts and the lack of cover in MPGP book

Started by
4 comments, last by Jedaye 22 years, 11 months ago
Why the lack of enumerating hosts for peer-to-peer games? Unless I am missing something why is everything done via an IP in your sample code? Cheers ** Ste
**Ste
Advertisement
peer-peer is also using a service provider, probably TCP/IP... if you mean modem/serial connecitons, I wouldn''t know...
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
I know that in most of the games I join, I know the server''s IP address. Since most people don''t host multiple servers at a single IP, it is cleaner to cut to the chase and specify the information.

I find that the host enumeration can be confusing for newcomers and prefer to leave things as simple as possible. Once you understand the basic underworkings, host enumeration shouldnt be too much to learn.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

I mean from a LAN only games point of view...some gamers I have found dont have a clue about IP addresses (not everyone is techy). They just want to click and go as it were...

I have it up and running (have for a while) but the latency increases after a while (where as in the SDK demos it doesnt). I am just storing each host in an array of a struct - simple stuff - then running thru the array and displaying to screen via DrawText.

Any ideas why it appears to lag more after no apparent set time?

Thanks

Ste
**Ste
Send me an email explaining your test setup and what you are experiencing. I will look at it and find a resolution to your problem.

Thanks!

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Its oki, I have sorted it...using an array of structs seemed to have, after time, lagged the response. Dont ask me why but using a linked list instead has fixed the error.

Thanks for the offer tho And thanks for a top book

Ste
**Ste

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement