🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DPlay combined with OGL

Started by
3 comments, last by Nazrix 22 years, 11 months ago
Is it possible to combine DirectPlay w/ OGL? Would they conflict at all?
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
The only components of DirectX that cannot be used with OpenGL are DirectDraw and Direct3D/DirectGraphics. Everything else is fair game, including DirectPlay.

However, I hear that DirectPlay is a pain in the rear to use, to the extent that one is better to use Windows Sockets directly.

yeah, I keep going back & forth as far as what to use, but thanks for the info

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
DPlay really isnt that bad to use once you get the architecture down.

I happen to use both sockets and DPlay personally.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

It seems to my uneducated mind that DPlay was created more w/ games in mind where sockets is more general, so perhaps DPlay would be a better choice. Although I''ve looked at winsock and it doesn''t look too ugly even though I haven''t got it to work yet

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement