🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Device/Direct3D Error

Started by
10 comments, last by jljones 22 years, 11 months ago
Hey All, I have been looking at the RPGQuest Server and Client Code and I am having some difficulties getting the Client to run. The server runs great, but the client is failing with a device error and then a Direct3d Error. I believe that the error is resulting from the following line of code: hResult = pD3D->CreateDevice( g_dwAdapter, pDeviceInfo->DeviceType, hWnd, pModeInfo->dwBehavior, &d3dpp, &pd3dDevice ); I have tried to debug the code, but when I compile the program, I get about 30 errors (like such) Linking... dxutil.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__timeGetTime@0 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__timeGetTime@0 Object3DClass.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateTextureFromFileA@12 Object3DClass.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXLoadMeshFromX@28 Object3DClass.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationZ@8 Object3DClass.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationY@8 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationY@8 Object3DClass.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixMultiply@12 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixMultiply@12 Object3DClass.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationX@8 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate8@4 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixLookAtLH@16 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateFont@12 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH@20 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DP8SP_TCPIP RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectPlay8Address RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectPlay8Address RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectPlay8Client RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectPlay8Client RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectInput8Create@20 RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectInput8A RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIKeyboard RPGQuest.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SysKeyboard SoundSystem.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectMusicPerformance SoundSystem.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectMusicPerformance8 SoundSystem.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectMusicLoader SoundSystem.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectMusicLoader8 SoundSystem.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectMusicSegment SoundSystem.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectMusicSegment8 Debug/RPGQuest.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 26 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. So, any ideas why I am getting these two errors. Also, I couldn''t get the DirectX SKD on the disk to install, so I had to download a partial version from microsoft, I installed the directx sdk for vc++ version 8.0 Comments welcome! Thanks, Joe
Joseph L. JonesCEO, Jones Enterpriseswww.geocities.com/jones_enterprises2000
Advertisement
''Unresolved external symbol'' errors are generally caused by not linking to the correct libraries. Make sure that in your project''s link options ,you are linking to the DX and D3D libs (d3dx.lib? I''m not exactly sure).

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Okay, Solved the linker problem with the timeGettime (winmm.lib) and the directx lib''s but I am still getting the Device/Direct3D Errors (two total)!

Thanks and sorry for the double post!

joe
Which errors are you getting now? Also, what is wrong with the SDK on the CD? Is it faulty? I would like to know if I need to call my publisher.

Thanks!

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

On the SDk installation, the only thing that it does is install the runtime version and create a few directories in the default mssdk directory, none of the supporting sdk files are installed. I followed the directions that you gave in the text (although I am experienced with the directx installation).

As far as the errors, once I was able to compile the debug version, I began debugging at the point that I received the error, all the variables are being passed in.

So, I changed my screen resolution from 1024x768 32 to 1024x768 24 & 16. Still received the Device Error and Direct3d Error.

So I changed my screen resolution to 800x600 16 and I received an adapter error.

So, I am open to ideas.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by - jljones on July 17, 2001 9:28:51 AM
Hmm, I''m not into C++, but hResult returns the error, maybe you can check the error number in the SDK docs. For example, you could get a "device unavailable" or an "not supported" error. Might help you a bit.
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
jljones,

Sorry for the delayed response.. Anyway, please email me your system configuration:

1. Video Card (make, model, manufacturer)
2. Video driver rev.
3. Other hardware in your system (tv tuner, cd-burner, etc.)
4. Operating System

Have you tried running the game in fullscreen mode? You have the change the header file to set windowed to false.

Send me the above information and we can work on this some more.

Thanks!

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Will do, I will get that information together for you.

Also, I will try fullscreen and see if that helps!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Joe
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I had a problem getting to the forum and I have been busy working on my game projects. But, I did want to let you know that I finally got the program to work. This is what I had to do:
1. Loaded the runtime DirectX version 8.0a
2. Reloaded my graphics drivers
3. Change my screen resolution from 1024x768 32 to 800x600 16.

My fps was about 10 but I did manage to see the program connect to the server and the server accept the connection.

My specifics on my systems is as follows:
Compaq Presario 4680, 64MB Ram, ATI RAGE PRO w/4MB, 333 MHz with MMX, CD-R/W, DVD/CD-ROM, and Win98.

Nothing special.

Thanks for your help!

Joe
Greets. I''ve had the same problems with the code. It runs the client fine the first time through. Then if I attempt to re-load the client then it gives me a Direct3D Initialization error and I get this error not only when running the client but any subsequent Direct3D program.

Leads me to believe it''s in the cleanup code. Gonna take a longer look at it tonight. Just figured I''d throw that tidbit in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement