🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Real Arcade Games

Started by
19 comments, last by spikey 22 years, 10 months ago
Thanks Cliffski for the info.
Sorry, but can you explain what conversion rates mean?

For a developer is the real units a game sells interesting.
Minus the game units that are returned in 30 days.

So it''s doubtfull if it''s possible to live from the earnings?

See article of bob wardell, PC gaming as an industry part 2.
at avault

So if you don''t get your game onto retail shelves you''re left with electronic distribution. Here''s the flat out numbers based on experience and talking to other publishers and developers. If you put your game on a download site, you can expect it to get about a 1% conversion rate -- downloads converted to an actual sale.

Try it for fun: Go find a game that displays how many downloads it''s received. Let''s say it got 100,000 downloads. That means the demo generated around 1,000 sales on that site. Sounds unbelievable? Probably but it''s true, ask any game developer.

That doesn''t mean that a title with only 100,000 downloads only sold 1,000 units. It means that those particular downloads only generated 1,000 sales. There are lots of other ways to increase your impressions, such as getting it into retail (which is the main way to sell lots of units). Get lots of publicity online, in game magazines and other magazines and that will increase the number of people who know of your product. But getting media coverage is tricky, getting your game on a download site is easy.

Advertisement
That quote is probably accurate for sites like download.com, but for a site like RealGames the conversion rates are higher, maybe 3% for a good game, possibly more for puzzle games. The main aim here is publicity. When I get a new demo listed on sites like Adrenaline Vault or 3DFiles my website hits go through the roof. Obviously you need a good game too! but one of your biggest problems as an indie developer is getting people to even hear about your game. That why (I keep saying it) Indie developers should stick together, exchange links etc etc.

http://www.positech.co.uk
In about how much units sells a strategy game or a puzzle game
on realarcade each month.

How much royalties do they take?
In about how much units sells a game published by realarcade each month.

How much % of the royalties do they take?
and some games like mine have a conversion rate of almost 0%, over 20000 downloads at download.com and more in many other sites and just 1 copy sold to someone who paid with someone else credit card...
Is my game so pathetic? Search for "punk" at download.com and it''s the only game with that name, but is it really so pathetic?
In how much units sells a game in general on realarcade?
he roman arce what kind of game is it.
This is the game:

Punk game with the 3D glasses (red/blue) which is a first person shooter but with 235 different delirious monsters, 75 crazy punk unique dialogues, really a lot of very good puzzles with a very wide range of elements and most of everything a Punk style in every tiny part of the entire game."

98% who reviewed it said it''s a good game to play.

A first person shooter with 3D glasses (red n blue) but it can be played in monographic mode anyway, and it has 235 different monsters and lots of puzzles, I wasted 6 years and 3 monthes making it. The voting at download.com without cheating was 40%, I overvoted to change it to 98% :-), but those about 48 reviews we written buy others (I didn''t cheat in that).
Here is a screenshot but you need 3D glasses to watch it.

more screenshots
Well Roman Farce I dont mean to be mean, just trying to be constructive. First Your game needs blue and red glasses to play properly doesn''t it? Now I can only speak for myself and the people I know but not many people have them. Second the graphics look highly budget, like you spent 5 mins in MS Paint making them. The gun for instance in the screenshot looks highly basic.
I like how you can use 3d glasses but the whole game should not rely on that, it should have been an option.
If you are looking to sell a game to RealArcade I suggest going down to your local arcade or possibly even looking at old emulations as to see what sort of games will sell well on RealArcade. Arcade based games sell very well, so maybe come up with some twist on an original game and go with it. May I suggest you get some artist working for you(hard to find free ones that are good) or you keep practicing at drawing your own art . Just my 2 sence
-Jason Starr-

---------------
Freeze Software
---------------
---------------Freeze Software---------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement